how do i record sound

Reaction score
I am a mac newbie and i use it during class, i was trying to find out if i can record the lectures onto the mac using the stock microphone? What software do i use and which is better to use?
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I use audacity. its free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

the internal mike should work. never tried in a class room settings, but im guessing it would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How far will you be from the lecturer? A simple condenser mic plugged into the audio-in port might be better for recording than the inbuilt one. If you can rig up a deflector cone just below the head of the external mic, that'll help divert the sound to the diaphragm. Making a simple stand for the mic would help too, but cushion it with foam rubber at its base.

Both Audacity and Garageband will record the sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
I would go with an small USB condenser mic. You can pick one up for under $100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express
Do you have microsoft office? If you do you can do it directly in Word. I've used it from the back of the room and it works great.

Go to View - Notebook View. Then go to View - Toolbars - Audio Notes. A new menu bar will appear and will show that there is signal. Then just adjust the level to where you want it and hit record. This way you can record lectures and keep them organized based on the topic being discussed, or you can just let it run all the way through.

You can also use Garage Band. Go to preferences - audio/midi, and make sure the Audio Input is set to "internal microphone". Then hit Shift+Apple+N, select real instrument and when you're ready hit record.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.