• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things that get you angry about Apple...

Reaction score
Hey.

I was reading all these threads and realized that makes me mad about apple. You got anything that makes you mad about them. Here's a list of a few things:

• It is really hard to find compatible parts for thier computers
  • If you break a part, it cost so much to replace and is sometimes hard to find
  • Applecare is a rip off and they shouldn't sell defected machines(ex. logic boards breaking)
  • Computers are way too expensive for what you get
  • Not much is compatible with OS X
  • Not much of a selection of computers
So... anything else? I find most of these quite annoying :confused:

Sorry about blabbing, i just feel like saying something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
shaun89 said:
</p>
  • It is really hard to find compatible parts for thier computers
What parts do you find are hard to find? I have not run into this problem

shaun89 said:
  • If you break a part, it cost so much to replace and is sometimes hard to find
Again like what?

shaun89 said:
  • Applecare is a rip off and they shouldn't sell defected machines(ex. logic boards breaking)
AppleCare is not a ripoff if you understand the policies before you get it. People buy applecare thinking that it will take care of every issue that they have without looking into what it actually covers. I bought applecare for my powerbook and it has already saved me 200 dollars (I had a chassis issue that would have cost 500 to fix if I didn't have the applecare). The logic board issue was taken care of for people with the issues even if they did not have AppleCare. Of couse they should not sell defective machines but do you think they intend to? Something went wrong that did not show up in quality control tests and they admitted and fixed the problem

shaun89 said:
  • Computers are way too expensive for what you get
Untrue. You tell me where you can find another system for the cost of a Mac that lasts as long before being outdated and then you can say they are too expensive for what you get.

shaun89 said:
  • Not much is compatible with OS X
Like what?

shaun89 said:
  • Not much of a selection of computers
They are a single company that is the only one that makes their products. They offer desktops and laptops, low budget to high budget, space-savers and power machines. What else do they need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I agree 1000% with trpn, yes, one thousand percent, it sounds like these problems lie more on your end, for example, if you go to best buy looking for a replacement part for your mac, its not gonna happen, and apple makes more variety of desktops than dell even, with dell and such, its the EXACT same computer with a small difference, also, wit apple, its not all about quantity, but quality, a beautiful OS needs to be run on a beautiful machine, not on a grey box.

D

Desolate One

Well my biggest gripe about Apple isn't so much a complaint regarding Apple itself or my machine, it's 3rd party support. Yahoo! Messenger sucks for video conferencing- crashed every 5min or so everytime I tried it w/ a compatible cam (Logitech). So I got the iSight. Great setup in all, but uses too much bandwidth. Case in point- My GF, using dialup whilst traveling (when broadband isn't available that is), can use YM w/ her dad/friends for video chat. When we try a video chat w/ AIM/iChat- says not enough bandwidth. And don't get me started on the lack of support for voice chat for AIM/iChat users.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
The whole deal with the parts is just finding ones that work. Like if your CPU malfunctions ro something. You can't jsut go to a store and buy a replacement. With mac it is so uncommon to find these things in stores, atleast where i live. And everywhere i've been. If you do find the part, it is usually expensive (i hear thses things on these forums by others). And i CAN probably find a better system that will last long for cheaper, or the same price with some souped up parts.

(not saying that i hate macs or anyhting)

Just my opinion.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Desolate One said:
Well my biggest gripe about Apple isn't so much a complaint regarding Apple itself or my machine, it's 3rd party support. Yahoo! Messenger sucks for video conferencing- crashed every 5min or so everytime I tried it w/ a compatible cam (Logitech). So I got the iSight. Great setup in all, but uses too much bandwidth. Case in point- My GF, using dialup whilst traveling (when broadband isn't available that is), can use YM w/ her dad/friends for video chat. When we try a video chat w/ AIM/iChat- says not enough bandwidth. And don't get me started on the lack of support for voice chat for AIM/iChat users.
That's one example of incompatible hardware. You just have to get the iSight form apple because it's built for macs. Why don't they make anyhting else work? Only thing i can really think of that is easy to find is HD's and Cd drives.

Macman said:
its not all about quantity, but quality, a beautiful OS needs to be run on a beautiful machine, not on a grey box.
Ok so your buying looks?

D

Danster

shaun89 said:
Ok so your buying looks?

Well i'd rather have a nice machine on my desktop rather than an ugly dull box that make you feel misrible when you look at it who'd want that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shaun89 said:
The whole deal with the parts is just finding ones that work. Like if your CPU malfunctions ro something. You can't jsut go to a store and buy a replacement. With mac it is so uncommon to find these things in stores, atleast where i live. And everywhere i've been. If you do find the part, it is usually expensive (i hear thses things on these forums by others). And i CAN probably find a better system that will last long for cheaper, or the same price with some souped up parts.

(not saying that i hate macs or anyhting)

Just my opinion.
CPU's don't just malfunction. If there is a problem with it it will usually occur when you first begin to use it in which case Apple will fix it. The only parts you really need to buy for a mac are Hard Drives and RAM which you can find just about anywhere and at the same costs as the PC counterparts (basically because they are the same)

So you are saying you can find a better system that will last 4+ years and still be perfectly usable the whole time. My family had the top of the line Dell 2 years ago and after 2 years the Hard Drive died 3 times, motherboard fried and it was slow compared to everything else out. My powerbook which is 2 years old has had one upgrade which was adding more memory when I got it and still runs as great as it did the first day. I bought myself an iMac G5 not because the PowerBook was too slow or not up to my needs but mainly because I wanted an apple desktop. I didn't want my powerbook to lose its usage since it is still great so I gave that to my dad to use since he will not use PC's anymore after all the crap he had to go through with the dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shaun89 said:
That's one example of incompatible hardware. You just have to get the iSight form apple because it's built for macs. Why don't they make anyhting else work? Only thing i can really think of that is easy to find is HD's and Cd drives.

Ok so your buying looks?
There are plenty of cameras that work with Apple. The iSight blows all of the others out of the water in quality but you can use others. The issues with the other cameras has nothing to do with the cameras themselves just with the software which is not made by apple. I use an iSight to talk to my dad who has an iSight at home and it is spectacular. If you meet the requirements on bandwidth then it really is realtime conversations with no lag.

You aren't buying looks but you are paying for a much more aesthetically pleasing system. Macman was dead on saying OS X is a beautiful operating system and apple likes too make things look nice so they make very eye friendly systems to go with the very user friendly and clean operating system

I

IChing

What really blew me away was watching the new Lord of the Rings complete extendend version and the last cuts and music was done by video between New Zealand and London on a powerbook. This sold me that I had made the right choice.
the klip is on "the music" clip on LOTR.
The Ipod was another mine blower when I went to Denmark this December to visit my children, her friend brought his latest
video stuff that he was going to submit to DK TV for a news promotion, he was able to show on my daughter's IBook 5 different music interpertations of the video and play each one and then download a few things for our new macs. He used it not just for music but if at a party and met a producer could show his stuff with his IPod, must creative danes use Mac.

The OS system is getting easier and faster to use after 1.5 months and the power of this system is equal or better,(much better) to my 2.6hz anthalon HP desktop with 1gig of ram.

D

Desolate One

shaun89 said:
That's one example of incompatible hardware. You just have to get the iSight form apple because it's built for macs. Why don't they make anyhting else work?

The Logitech cam my GF bought for me is perfectly compatible. It's YM that's buggy as all ****. I would have happily used YM w/ the QuickCam and saved some money. At leas then I would have to keep hearing, "AIM video chat sucks, the video window is way small. On YM the window is much bigger and I can actually see who I'm talking to." How am I to defend AIM/iChat to that?

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok the CPU thing... It was jsut an example. I was thinking the same thing. I was seeing if anyone agreed with me because it's what was on my mind. I still think macs are kind of imcompatible. Have you had any major problems with your mac/mac parts/ or upgrading?

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
What i am basically saying, is what makes macs "better" than PC's? (im sure thats what most peopl think here). I just don't see the big reason to switch. I dunno... i think this will just burst into a mac + pc bashing contest. Lets hope not.

D

Desolate One

As far as upgrades are concerned, I've upgraded my RAM so far and I'm hoping a SuperDrive and an 80GB HDD is on the horizon. Is there anything else you'd need to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was an avid PC user from the time I was 5. I still work on them daily with people calling me up to fix a problem with it.

Why I prefer mac's to PC's
No worrying about Virus's, Adware, Spyware
The programs apple provide integrate so much better with each other and the OS than Windows (ie. Making a photo album in iPhoto, clicking iDVD and it automatically creating a new slideshow in my iDVD project or creating a project in GarageBand and exporting it right to iTunes)
Everything works right from the start (System configures internet connection and checks for updates as soon as its online, plug in a digital camera without putting in a single cd and letting iPhoto take care of everything, plug in a DV Camcorder and iMovie opens right up)
Stability - Put it to sleep at night and it wakes up in a second in the morning with a click of the keyboard and it is exactly how I left it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the same thing i hate with every corporation ...... their legal advisors and management

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
I was an avid PC user from the time I was 5. I still work on them daily with people calling me up to fix a problem with it.

Why I prefer mac's to PC's
No worrying about Virus's, Adware, Spyware
The programs apple provide integrate so much better with each other and the OS than Windows (ie. Making a photo album in iPhoto, clicking iDVD and it automatically creating a new slideshow in my iDVD project or creating a project in GarageBand and exporting it right to iTunes)
Everything works right from the start (System configures internet connection and checks for updates as soon as its online, plug in a digital camera without putting in a single cd and letting iPhoto take care of everything, plug in a DV Camcorder and iMovie opens right up)
Stability - Put it to sleep at night and it wakes up in a second in the morning with a click of the keyboard and it is exactly how I left it
Then macs and PC's arent that different. PC's barely get viruses / spyware if you scan once a month. The programs integrate? Im sure you can get great programs that do the same on a PC. When you say everything is configured from the start, XP does to. You just plug something in (ex. digital camera) and it open and ask to upload. And your internet works without having to do anything. You can put a PC in standby and it will be how i left it.

What i am looking for is a kick - butt (in place of better word) reason to switch :S

D

Desolate One

shaun89 said:
Then macs and PC's arent that different. PC's barely get viruses / spyware if you scan once a month. The programs integrate? Im sure you can get great programs that do the same on a PC. When you say everything is configured from the start, XP does to. You just plug something in (ex. digital camera) and it open and ask to upload. And your internet works without having to do anything. You can put a PC in standby and it will be how i left it.

What i am looking for is a kick - butt (in place of better word) reason to switch :S

It really sounds like you want to switch for the sake of switching. I mean if Xp works that well for you, why switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shaun89 said:

If you are only scanning once a month you are almost guaranteed to have a bunch of spyware and probably some trojans installed into your computer. There are so many viruses always being developed for PC's that virus definitions which used to be updated about once a month are now being updated almost on a bidaily period. When you get a PC from Dell/Gateway/HP etc you actually get them with spyware already installed and running when you first turn it on (Alexa).

You shouldn't have to find any software suite that is completely integrated, it should be built in like iLife is and work as flawlessly with each other and the operating system

Windows does not automatically set everything up when you plug them in. With internet you have to go through the Internet Connection Wizard, I have yet to find a digital camera that doesn't require you to put in the CD and install the drivers before it will import.

You seriously think Windows Standby mode works well? More than half the time upon waking it the system is frozen and programs will not load up. Every IT department I have worked in and my schools CS department tell all of the employees to never use the Standby or Suspend mode on the computers, either leave them on turn off when you are finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
trpnmonkey41 said:
You seriously think Windows Standby mode works well? More than half the time upon waking it the system is frozen and programs will not load up. Every IT department I have worked in and my schools CS department tell all of the employees to never use the Standby or Suspend mode on the computers, either leave them on turn off when you are finished.

luckily Apple has the ability to write firmware programs to work with the sleep function, since all computers running Mac OS come from Apple.

whereas Windows has to work on many different hardware BIOS that sometimes are barely similar. so Microsoft had to write a software program that runs a system pause and continually scans the input buffer to know when to turn on, meaning if your computer recieves any packets through the network (which it does quite frequently over local networks), it will either wake up or lock up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.