• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things that get you angry about Apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
They only give you two stickers.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
If you are only scanning once a month you are almost guaranteed to have a bunch of spyware and probably some trojans installed into your computer. There are so many viruses always being developed for PC's that virus definitions which used to be updated about once a month are now being updated almost on a bidaily period. When you get a PC from Dell/Gateway/HP etc you actually get them with spyware already installed and running when you first turn it on (Alexa).

You shouldn't have to find any software suite that is completely integrated, it should be built in like iLife is and work as flawlessly with each other and the operating system

Windows does not automatically set everything up when you plug them in. With internet you have to go through the Internet Connection Wizard, I have yet to find a digital camera that doesn't require you to put in the CD and install the drivers before it will import.

You seriously think Windows Standby mode works well? More than half the time upon waking it the system is frozen and programs will not load up. Every IT department I have worked in and my schools CS department tell all of the employees to never use the Standby or Suspend mode on the computers, either leave them on turn off when you are finished.

Windows does so set your internet up. After a fresh format, you jsut plug in teh LAN cable and it just says "Connected" in the corner. And with my digital camera, i plug it in, and the printer and scanner wizard pops up with in a second. Maybe your thinking of Windows 9x ? I dunno. Im reconsidering on macs. THey are cheaper now! The aple Canada store has just dropped the prices a few hundred.

D

Desolate One

If your box is set by default to obtain an IP automatically and you're connecting to a router, then sure it'll connect automatically. However I never had IE from a fresh install set it self up automatically, I always had to run some sort of wizard for that.

Honestly mate, if it's working that well for you why spend your hard earned?

C

Cloudane

It's all different ways of doing things.

PC: Upgrade constantly, but spread the cost. Graphics card one month, RAM next month, CPU/motherboard another month...

Mac: Buy unit and use it for 3-5 years. Repeat.

I'm still a newbie to Macs, but that's how I see it anyway. I also see that they don't need you to replace faulty parts because generally they don't *go* faulty. They're better made (which is why they're expensive) and put together the way they were supposed to be. I'll best most people whose PC processors blow didn't fit the heatsink properly, or used the wrong one, or a badly manufactured one that crushes the die (been there), or messed about overclocking it for another 2% speed.

But seriously, if you enjoy the PC so much then why switch? Stick with it! No doubt you'll try to pick holes, but the reasons I switched were:
- Everything about them looks nice. Yes, because it looks nice. When you spend as long as I do sat in front of the computer, you want it to be pleasing on the eye :)
- No more wasting 50% of the computer's resources fending off viruses, worms, hackers, security exploits....
- They just work. Really they do. No-tinkering-ever. 10 years ago I wanted to know every little detail about *how* they worked. Nowadays, I don't. I still know, but I don't care... I just want it to work.
- The hardware is consistent = less problems
- Every bit of Apple's love and attention goes into their machines, and it really does show. Compare with something that Time threw together.
- Everything is designed with the user in mind... both hardware and software. Taking software as an example, OS X follows a lot of widely-accepted human interface design guidelines. Windows breaks most of them :p Taking hardware as an example, the Powerbook. They've really *thought* about it - notice how there are no buttons on the case to accidentally press, no flimsy CD tray to break off and no port covers etc to break? Very rarely does that much attention to detail go towards a PC.
- OS X. Probably one of the biggest reasons. It looks great, it acts great, it's friendly *and* it's Unix. Have you ever seen that combination before?

The rest of what you say is FUD. If I hear one more cry of "but there are no apps!" the person will have the word "versiontracker" permanently and physically etched into their brain :)

IMO I think you'd be better off sticking with XP and jumping on the "Skin it with some ugly Windowblinds/DesktopX clone of the Aqua interface" bandwagon ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Desolate One said:
If your box is set by default to obtain an IP automatically and you're connecting to a router, then sure it'll connect automatically. However I never had IE from a fresh install set it self up automatically, I always had to run some sort of wizard for that.

Start >> Run >> command

ipconfig /renew

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Well. I like XP. But i just think i would live OS X way better. The G5 prices have dropped now so I can get a 1.8 for 1700 CAD. I might just go for that. I just can't make up my mind. It's so hard. I mean i like macs and everything, it's just PC's is all there is within a 12 Hour radius of where i live. I just don't want to run into a problem and be screwed. But im starting to think i should just get a mac and screw the PC world. Although, im wating till theya re supposedly resleasing the sub $500 mac. If this actually comes out. I'll be a sure switcher. Unless it's untrue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
shaun89 said:
What i am basically saying, is what makes macs "better" than PC's? (im sure thats what most peopl think here). I just don't see the big reason to switch. I dunno... i think this will just burst into a mac + pc bashing contest. Lets hope not.
Mac OS X has no registry which the reason windows needs to be updated daily and SP2 is in the process of failing. I used to be a windows dude. Now I'm a very happy Mac fan! :alien:

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Yeah. I just do not know what to spend my money on. Thats one of the great thing about OS X no registry. Less crashes, and viruses. Plus it looks kick *** and it has some cool apps. Im just thinking about if it's worth it to switch... like if i should spend a couple grand on a computer...

D

Danster

Why are you asking a bunch of complete strangers whether or not to part with a couple of grand? I mean that's crazy you know this site is obviosly gonna reccomend you to buy a Mac I think you should make the decision if you want to switch on your own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.