New iPod Touch quick review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey all! I received my new iTouch yesterday. I went ahead and got the 32GB and so far, I love it! I had an old iTouch before and loved it as well, but everything that I wished it had, this new one does.

My absolute favorite new feature is the built in speaker. I was so annoyed when I found out the iTouch didn't have one a year ago. Now, I can play my games and listen to my music without being tethered to my iPod. It has pretty good quality (about the same as the iPhone). It's really a great feature.

Also, the volume controls are a nice addition. At first, I thought they were a little tough to press, but then I realized how nice it was to be able to carry it in my pocket and not worry about the volume going up and down. Nice job apple!

I am a runner, so the new Nike+ integration is wonderful. It synced right up with my old shoe transmitter and after a quick calibration, I was able to run and listen to my music with ease. I tested the accuracy on my local running track, and it's pretty much dead on. It's truly a great feature.

The playlist I used with nike+ was a genius playlist made by using a song from Imogen Heap. It started playing songs I didn't even know I had and they were all wonderful. I'm really impressed with Apple this time around. My iPod is my new favorite gadget.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not Voip integration will be allowed. I'm on a wifi campus, so being able to call my fiancee using our iPods would be amazing. Not to mention just plain fun.

So to recap: Nice job Apple! I'm wonderfully impressed. Apple took something that didn't seem to need much improvement, and improved it immensely! I'm going to go play Spore now.

Trent out

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Great, thanks so much for your write-up. Mine should be here Tuesday (I got the 16GB) and I can't wait. One of the things that I'm hoping they didn't do with the Touch is disable the old charging pins in the dock connector. I know the iPhone 3G does, and as a result, many third-party docks and car integration systems either won't work with it or won't charge it. Fingers crossed ;)

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey! I just checked with 4 different docks/alarm clocks/chargers and the new ipod touch works with all 4 of them just fine. I live in a dorm, so tons of people have a bunch of different hook ups. I walked into one guys room who had an ipod 4g. He looked at mine and said, "I didn't know they updated the iPods! I thought I had the newest one! :) Fun times. Hope that helps you!

Trent out

Edit: My 100th post! Woot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm really envious of the nike+ feature in the touch! I wish the iPhone had it as well..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey! I just checked with 4 different docks/alarm clocks/chargers and the new ipod touch works with all 4 of them just fine. I live in a dorm, so tons of people have a bunch of different hook ups. I walked into one guys room who had an ipod 4g. He looked at mine and said, "I didn't know they updated the iPods! I thought I had the newest one! :) Fun times. Hope that helps you!

Trent out

Edit: My 100th post! Woot!

Cool, much appreciated! Did you happen to notice if any of them appeared to charge it too?

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they all charged it! At least from what I could tell. It had the standard "charging" icon and all. They seemed to work.

Trent out

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really envious of the nike+ feature in the touch! I wish the iPhone had it as well..

The Nike+ feature is absolutely awesome. I've set my running goal for the year (ending in September) at 800 miles. It'll be my PR. I'm really looking forward to using this thing for that very purpose. I remember when I was young (and rather portly) I got a used mp3 player for Christmas. I decided to use it while I walked to school which eventually became running to school. It was nice to have something familiar to take with me wherever I ran. It eventually died, but by then I was pretty well in shape and now having something that will actually track my progress while running is an exciting thing. I wouldn't be surprised if apple made a way to put the Nike+ on the iphone or even use a wifi interface for the old ipod touches. We can only hope. Good luck!

Trent out

P.S. I know I should really use a case of some sort for this thing, but it's just so darn nice looking! I think I might actually let this one get beat up a bit...I know it sounds strange, but it might be nice to see all the scratches and such when 800 miles rolls around in a year. What do you guys think?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they all charged it! At least from what I could tell. It had the standard "charging" icon and all. They seemed to work.

Trent out

Oh man, that's a relief. Thanks so much, I owe you one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Well.. Got my 16GB iPod Touch when apple first released, was happy ( Still am ). The only thing I want is for the Apple In-ear headphones to work for the 1st gen iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
How do you get the speaker to work, mine's silent without headphones?

I endorse every word, I love mine

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you get a new one? The last generation does not have a speaker. If you did get a new generation, I'm not really sure what to tell you...make sure your volume is up and if it is not, you might have a bad speaker. I'd check for your model first. Quick way to check: Does it have volume buttons on the side? If it does, it should have a speaker too. Let us know! We'll be more than happy to help in any way.

Trent out

Reaction score
Darn it, this is making me want to get the 32gb :(

Curse Apple for making such attractive products! haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have the belkin sports armband for running which works really well... they also make an iPod touch version which will fit yours as well:
amazon link

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few disappointments with my iPod Touch 2G. For one, it doesn't work properly with my car audio integration (as I'd feared). As soon as it's attached, it displays a screen stating that it's an unsupported charger (bummer).

The second one - and this is a biggie - is that there seems to be some pretty major issues with WPA encryption on certain WiFi routers, namely my D-Link DIR-655 (a very popular model). In fact, there's already a long thread out on Apple Support about it. Many are complaining that the same thing happens when you upgrade a 1G iPod Touch to 2.1.

Fortunately, it does connect to the WiFi here at work.

Reaction score
I really like my new 2G iPod Touch.

Only one complaint - Over the years I had accumulated the power supply bricks that use the firewire connector. All of my past iPods, including the 1G Touch, could be charged with these. The 2G Touch cannot be charged with the firewire brick. No problems with the USB brick, though.

Considering all of the positives of this new iPod, though, this one complaint is extremely minor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Yep, no audio controls. I only bought it last month (birthday pressie), not knowing that a new one was 'on the way'.

That said, for my personal circumstances being 'tethered' is actually more friendly to those around me. But the ability to let it talk to me would have been good.

This iTouch is lovely, to those of you with new ones - enjoy! Good luck to you. I can always use the 2Gb card in my Palm TX if I need a speaker - OR this funny oblong silver thing (MBP).

God, but they DO make nice looking stuff - AND it does what it says on the can.

Bye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Did you guys that got the new Touchs recently, did you get the new headphones as well? Mine came with the old style headphones. So far I freakin love this thing, I got the 16gb

EDIT: Just realized the new headphones aren't even out yet, that sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Yeah, the headphones cost more money, so I don't think Apple would include them with the new iPods anyway.

I just got my iPod Touch yesterday! It looks super sweet, but I don't want to take it out of the container until I get a case. I may sound insane, but that way my Touch will be nice and clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
I ordered mine from amazon on sept. 16th and they don't even have a delivery estimate yet.
people are freaking out and giving the product 1 star on reviews because of the delay, long discussions going on, but i'm trying to stay positive.

i'm glad everyone likes it so far, built-in speakers were the only thing i'd been waiting for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.