Html Problem

Reaction score
I can't seem to read my handcoded html files in firefox or safari. I am using osx 10.4.11 and when I open it in browsers all I get is the code, not the page.I use text edit, and open office.
I've even been testing simple codes like
<html>
<body>
Test
</body>
</html>
it will show up like ^
not like

Test

...so it's not the code.

Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
You have to make it plain text, not rich text. So, go to Text Edit and go to Format. Click 'Make Plain Text'. This should help you're problem. If this still doesn't work, come back and tell us.

OP
the_macpanther
Reaction score
Ok, i did that and it kind of works, everywhere there is a space there is an E with a ^ above it. How do I fix that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Ok, i did that and it kind of works, everywhere there is a space there is an E with a ^ above it. How do I fix that?

I don't know what you mean. Could you take a screenshot so I can see what you are talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why are you trying to hand code, why not use Komposer until you get more of a handle on the code?

OP
the_macpanther
Reaction score
i like to code it by myself. The code is just fine. it's just something with text edit. but i'll try komposer and see if that does it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
I think the guys betting are right..

Looks to me that you havent got the 'encoding' set right..

Add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in between your <head> and </head> tags..

If that doesnt fix it.. I fold!

OP
the_macpanther
Reaction score
I think the guys betting are right..

Looks to me that you havent got the 'encoding' set right..

Add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in between your <head> and </head> tags..

If that doesn't fix it.. I fold!

I got it working in open office. It turns out it will help write it, because all syntax is color coded. So that fixed it, but to be safe I added Lewwy's advice.
What does that code do anyway?

In sum TextEdit was a pain. When I encoded it it always messed it up. but in open office all you have to do is switch over to html view. and you're fine. You don't have to worry about artifacts or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that top code tells the browser what type of document it is parsing

The head tags enclose information like meta tags, CSS and javascript that are not directly seen. Once the browser has a doc type and head info. it will begin rendering the html in the body tags

But you are still best using a visual html editor, and looking at the code it generates to understand hand coding

as for a text editor that is more html friendly, I strongly recommend BBedit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.