Music Production Software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am a big proponent of Ableton Live. Besides that there are a ton of music programs that are compatible with Macs.

OP
J
Reaction score
ohh alrite thanks, i should check those programs out then. will it work with my MIDI keyboard though? i have an m-audio keystation 49, and i was wondering if that's compatible with my keyboard? i've tried Recycle, which for some reason it wasnt compatible with my keyboard. i dont know if its just me or it actually is the keyboard? but yeah, if anyone has an m-audio type keyboard, would someone fill me in? thanks again in advanced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If it sends MIDI signals, then Live will work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
Ableton should recognize your MIDI keyboard. I use a m-audio o2 and trigger finger and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express
Pro Tools, Reason, CuBase, Ableton, Logic, and several others all work great on Mac, and they all recognize MIDI. Set up depends on the software, but I know people who use MIDI on all of these programs, and they all work fine. Pretty much any recording software is going to work with MIDI.

Reaction score
M-audio keyboards work fine with Reason as well as ReCycle. Im using an M-audio oxygen 61 key. It took a little bit of playing with it, the most probable scenario is that you just need to map out what keys on your controller you want to control the various options in recycle. I dont remember the exact place to map controls in recycle off the top of my head, in Reason however, its under Options -> Remote Override Edit Mode -> Additional Remote Overrides.

see if theres an option like that in recycle. its relatively straight forward after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
Use Logic Pro if you're wanting to do professional home recordings. Use ProTools if you're going to a studio(s) and want to be able to work on projects at home. ProTools is cheaper and more compatible if you're doing a lot of pro studio work. But if you're doing all the recording yourself and want the best, Logic Pro all the way! If you don't want to spend $500 and don't need all the features, Logic Studio is $200. Either will recognize MIDI, but Logic will work better for effects and editing with MIDI (especially if it's a MIDI keyboard).

Reaction score
it all depends on the budget

I bought a Digidesign 002 Rack about two years ago and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. If your serious about music it is really the way to go. Pro Tools is undoubtedly the industry standard so It all depends on your budget. If you want quality Digidesign stuff will last. You can usually find a pretty decent deal on Ebay. If you can spend $1000 and you spend it right you should be up and running with the pros in no time. Hope my input could be of some service!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I bought a Digidesign 002 Rack about two years ago and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

The 002's were the best. Keep your hands on that thing!
...Although I heard the next 003's are gunna have 4 more mic pre's :eek:

Reaction score
I am trying to get into film/tv music and have been using garageband but I have heard that Logic has the Garageband jampacks as it's sounds.

Reaction score
right now i am going to school for music production, i have used garage band, live, reason, pro tools, and logic 8, and by far my favorite is Logic 8.. def. worth the money

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.