Corsair VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 won't boot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've bought the Corsair VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 set (2x2GB) for my MacBook MB403LL/A.

But it won't boot if both memories are installed. If I install one of the new memories with an old one, it works perfectly.

Any idea why this is happening?

Regards

Reaction score
MacBook - Corsair VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 won't boot

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue as KeitaroBR.

I also bought the Corsair VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 Kit. System will not post with the new kit installed (4GB) :( however 1 original Dimm and 1 new Corsair works fine and reports 3GB Installed.

System Specs - 2.5GHz Mackbook Pro, 512VRAM - M134LL/A

I logged a support request with Corsair and am awaiting a reply.

Anybody else having the same issue?

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm too waiting for Corsair to answer. At the moment I'm using my old 2GB Kingstom memory with one of the new Corsair and got 4Gb as expected.

Reaction score
Also I have been having a look around and it seems that the Mac Mini is having issues with this particular RAM. So it is defiantly not system specific, All problems seem to be reported quite recently which leads to believe its a "Bad Batch" over compatibility issue. Hopefully Corsair can shed some light on this. I will post their response when I receive.

Reaction score
I recieved a reply from Corsair - The advised me to shut system down and power on while holding the Control, Command + P and R keys. Hold these down until you hear the startup tones 3 times (This should reset the system BIOS)

I performed these steps with every different memory configuration possible to no avail. I got back to Corsair with the results and they advised (on the information that I provided that I replacement will be the best option.

I now have an RMA is process and am awaiting replacement dimms.

Hopefully this will resolve if not Kingston is the way to go, I will keep you posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD546LL/A - MacBookPro9,1
I have the same problem! Could you guys share what you did to make it work? I couldn't get mine to work... now I need to know how to resolve.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

I ended up not being able to solve this with the two Corsair modules.

I solved it in an alternative way: my sister had a Toshiba system with a 2GB Kingston module.

I put one Corsair and the Kingston module, being able then to get 4 GB of memory. The second Corsair module I put on my sister's system.

Corsair memory? Never again....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried loading them in combinations and the RAM will load if combined with the OEM but not both at the same time! What can I do?

I already tried reseting the bios...

OP
K
Reaction score
As I said, I found no way to make this Corsair memory work. I suggest you return them and get another set of memories.

Reaction score
Your computer can only see 3g of Ram. The older intel macbook pro has a limit of 3GB that can be used (the older MBP came with the Intel 945PM chipset that has this limitation), however,the newer Santa Rosa based MBP can have 4GB.

The Santa Rosa came out in late 07 or early 08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
Your computer can only see 3g of Ram. The older intel macbook pro has a limit of 3GB that can be used (the older MBP came with the Intel 945PM chipset that has this limitation), however,the newer Santa Rosa based MBP can have 4GB.

The Santa Rosa came out in late 07 or early 08.

MB403LL/A macbooks support up to 4GB of RAM. nice try though.

it's because the Corsair units have an incorrect ICC profile loaded into them and are incompatible with the MacBooks. the SMC isnt able to identify them properly... but when you use the combination of the Corsair module with one of your stock modules, it works fine as the SMC relies on the ICC profile stored in the stock module to identify the modules loaded in the banks.

the lesson learned is to only buy RAM from shops that specialize in parts and support for Macs. try Other World Computing (www.owc.com), RAMJET Inc. - High Performance Mac Memory, or the *Apple* section on newegg. these suppliers test the modules for compliance prior to sale. their prices are also very competitive and they usually feature a lifetime guarantee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
MB403LL/A macbooks support up to 4GB of RAM. nice try though.

it's because the Corsair units have an incorrect ICC profile loaded into them and are incompatible with the MacBooks. the SMC isnt able to identify them properly... but when you use the combination of the Corsair module with one of your stock modules, it works fine as the SMC relies on the ICC profile stored in the stock module to identify the modules loaded in the banks.

the lesson learned is to only buy RAM from shops that specialize in parts and support for Macs. try Other World Computing (www.owc.com), RAMJET Inc. - High Performance Mac Memory, or the *Apple* section on newegg. these suppliers test the modules for compliance prior to sale. their prices are also very competitive and they usually feature a lifetime guarantee.

Newegg is a good one!

I just bought the Mushkin Set 2x2GB. Funny thing was the set I bought was for PC (85$), and the APple set was 89$. The only difference in part number was the apple set had an "A" at the end. I took the chance and got the regular non-A set, and am Fine on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up returning the RAM to Corsair.... they were going to wait THREE WEEKS to return a good set. I escalated the issue and told them I did not want to go to litigation with the issue. Then they paid for my return shipping and sent the RAM back.

I still will NOT buy Corsair again... terrible quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.