macbook pro hard drive upgrade specs

Reaction score
I've got a 15" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, about 1.5 years old. I'm planning to upgrade the hard drive by following the online guides but I'm not sure what the specs are for hard drives that the Macbook can support. Is there a storage size limit (can it support 320gb)? Can it support 3.0Gb/s? Can it handle a 16mb cache? Will any 2.5in drive fit inside or only certain ones? Does anyone know where these specs are located? I've searched around but can't find them... if they even exist.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/

They only sell hard drives which are compatible with Mac hardware. Your MBP should accept most 2.5" SATA hard drives regardless of its internal cache or speed. Not entirely sure about your model but the newer MBP machines can accept a 500 Gb 2.5" SATA drive. You can always give them a call at their 800 number and ask.

However, a bit of caution is required before you get into swapping out a HD in your MBP.... Apple states that changing the hard drive in a MBP should only be done by an authorized Apple service center. Unlike the MacBook where the HD is easily accessible by the user, the HD in the MBP is more difficult to remove and change out.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the link -- I guess there aren't too many options to be confused by anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.