• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder advice

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new camcorder and want to know if anyone can offer me some advice in regards to which cameras work the best with Premiere Pro CS3. I am leaning toward a tapeless camcorder, but obviously would want to purchase what is going to be most compatible with my mac and the software I am running. I currently have a Mac Pro running Leopard. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I've heard bad things about tapeless camcorders, something like the quality is degraded in the transfer from the camcorder to the computer. What's your budget? The Canon HV20 (or HV30) might be a good pick for you... They come in at about $520 and $750 respectively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Yea I own the Canon HV20 its amazing. I also use PP CS3. Before I bought this camera I was looking into a hard drive camera and I heard many bad things, formats, archiving... So i'd say HV30 would be your best bet, only about 800 bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
if your budget allows, the panasonic hvx200 records on either tape or P2 cards. the bad news is that P2 is proprietary, so an 8G card may run you up to 1000 US and captures an measly 8 mins of hd720 footage, and be wary of P2 card bump, its old school, but it still happens, the camera takes a hit and boom, your footage on the card is totally gone, this is more applicable for the 1st gen. hvx200's though. all said and done, this camera is fantastic, and prefer it over the canon and sony lines of HDV cameras anyday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.