Mac Mini - No power

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So let me start from the beginning. I have a Macbook and upgraded my RAM from 1GB to 4GB. I researched how to install it , and successfully completed my first upgrade on my Mac, or any computer for that matter.

I was very pleased with myself and thought I should swap out the 512MB RAM in my Mac Mini with the 1GB RAM. I looked online for instructions and thought I did well, until I plugged my Mac Mini in and... NO POWER!!! I went back and retraced my steps and noticed the "power switch cable" was loose. When I flipped the hard drive on the other side to access the RAM, it must have been caught on something and got loose. It was only holding on to the motherboard on one side of the connection. I then proceeded to press down on the other side and started up my Mac Mini. It worked. However, when I put back on the case, the wire must have came loose again and .... NO POWER.

I now know my problem is with that "power" wire. I do not know the correct name. While fidgeting with the wire and trying to make it stay connected, the whole connection came apart. I somehow managed to make it start up again, but the power does not last, because as soon as it gets loose, it loses power.

So, my question is, what are my options.

Can I somehow reconnect the wire to the motherboard?

Do I have to solder it, or can I even fix the connection? (I don't know how to, or even if I did, would not feel comfortable soldering)

Do I have to replace the whole motherboard?

My warranty has already expired, but is it something that they can do at the Apple Store?

Anyways, my whole experience of upgrading my Macs is a little bittersweet. My Macbook flies with 4GB and my Mac Mini is grounded.

I hope you guys can help and guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Below is a picture of the wire that has become disconnected.

Mac.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Wow man, that sucks. When I upgraded my mini with an extra stick of RAM I had an extremely tough time getting the power connector back on. My only guess is that you try to solder it back into the connector.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
this must be the "mac quality" i've seen so much about here :D

Do you know what a Mac Mini is? Smaller inside than a lot of laptops with all laptop sized parts. Most laptops have very fragile little connectors that can be broken. Lets keep this post on topic please to help the OP.

To the OP, You might be able to solder it back depending on how it broke. I have taken apart many Minis and know what you are talking about but it never broke on me so far. You would need a very fine tipped soldering iron if you did try to solder it back to the connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I would try the apple store first. they may be able to help. or a local mac repair shop in your area?

hmm, wonder if mac medics can help? they are near me. perhaps you can ship to them and let them fix?

www.macmedics.com

OP
N
Reaction score
OP
N
Reaction score
So I went to the Apple Store and asked one of the workers if they do any soldering to the motherboard of a Mac Mini to reconnect the power button cable. She went to the back to ask one of the techs and came back to say that they would have to replace the whole motherboard. She then asked if it was still under warranty. I said no, and she said that they can not help me then...

So, I made an appointment anyways to talk to a Mac genius, and hope he or she has a better solution than to replace the whole motherboard to reconnect one wire.

How much does a new motherboard cost? Probably better to buy a whole new Mini....lol

Anyways, I am sure someone in San Diego can solder and reconnect this wire before I buy a whole new motherboard.

Still hopeful,
Ryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.