Use Finder Column View as default view

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Is it possible to set the column view as the default view for finder (all folders). When I choose icon or list view and open view options it's possible to set them as the default view, but there's no button to set column view as the default view?

Am i missing something here…???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
its in finder menu at the top

Finder . Preferences > general tab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Me either. Would love to have this as the default for all Finder. I am in the middle of reading all Finder column posts so may stumble upon the answer to the other question I have which is, is it possible to set the default so that the columns always arrange themselves so that the full title of the folder or file is visible? I know I can do that on an ad hoc basis by clicking the little icon at the bottom of the column but I would like it to happen automatically every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Thank you

I am not exactly sure what I did that made it work because I thought that the view options worked on a folder by folder basis. But it seems to have worked. Very strange. I open a folder and it opens in column view but when I look at the view options, the box at the top that says "always open in column view" is unchecked. This means that the system default is working, of course, but one would think that the box would be checked, allowing user to uncheck it so that any given folder would not open in column view. Sorry, this must sound quite rambling, but this is as clear as mud to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.