• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bit of a stupid question...

Reaction score
I will probably get shot down for this...

But does anyone have any old Apple products, as I am new to Apple, I would like something very cheap, just to try and get used to the operating system...

I would be willing to pay for postage?

Thanks, Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I will probably get shot down for this...

But does anyone have any old Apple products, as I am new to Apple, I would like something very cheap, just to try and get used to the operating system...

I would be willing to pay for postage?

Thanks, Dave

Have you tried ebay? They have some fairly old systems for cheap that you could probably get to get acquainted with Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate.

What sort of thing should I be looking for?

Not sure of your price range, but doing a search for 'apple laptops' yielded a ton of stuff. Saw a clamshell buy it now for 175. Don't know if that's too much?

May also want to try 'apple computers.' you should be able to find something there that fits the bill price wise.

EDIT: you may also want to throw in OSX or leopard while searching to make sure the computer has the latest operating system. You may also want to consider picking up "The Missing Manual" on leopard. I hear a lot of people swear by it. You can probably find it on amazon.com or some such.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What price range are we looking at? With that in mind I can make a few suggestions of what to look out for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what do I search for mate....

I just want to get used to OSX, have a fairly good system, but not spend alot.

It'll probably be very difficult to find something that will run OSX with the amount of money you are looking to spend. If you have a few hours I'd go to an apple store and play around with it for awhile.

I'd also look at getting the book I suggested earlier. You'll probably need to spend more money to get something decent.

http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/it...Q_frdlpwlZ1QQ_sacatZ4599?_trksid=p3913.c0.m24

There are some members on this forum that are from the UK. You may want to wait to see if they can help you out.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.