macbook pro slowing down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
Hi i bought a top of the range mbp around 6 months ago 4gb of ram etc and its starting to slow down quite a lot even opening safari and mail is taking ages when there's nothing else running are there any different way i can speed it up again equivalent of a ms disk clean up etc any routine maintenance i should be doing? Thanks

Reaction score
The only thing I do is repair disk permissions every couple of months or so and is the first thing you should try when you encounter any issues, as it usually clears most of them up.

To do this go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/Then select your HD in the left-hand pane and click 'Repair Disk Permissions' (This will take a few minutes to perform and don't take much gorm of the messages it leaves when it''s finished- tis is normal).

The Mac performs its own daily,weekly and monthly maintenance if you leave it switched on.

You can use an application such as Onyx (Which is free) to perform both of the above and many other tasks (Like emptying caches etc.) whenever you like.

Get Onyx here:-

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

If you have not restarted your Mac in a long time, it may be worthwhile doing so, as this sometimes clears issues up too.

Reaction score
Have you checked your activity monitor to see what programs are using your resources?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.