Mac Virus/Spyware query...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
My Mac is running 'sluggish' at the moment - so am considering purchasing some anti-virus software which can also detect/remove any spyware...

Can anyone tell me if (i) I need to get some anti-virus software for the Mac (since some argue that to do so is unnecessary); and (ii) whether it's possible for Macs to be infected with spyware etc.

Thanks in advance.

^o^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I can tell you right now that it's not running sluggish because of any viruses or malware because unless you actively went out and downloaded one of the experimental ones, you don't have any infections.

I would suggest downloading Onyx or MainMenu and running through the cleaning steps along with repairing permissions. A restart or two later should have you back up to speed :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Hi, if you are using Safari you could try clearing out your cache. Open Safari/Preferences/clear cache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you really want to see sluggish, go ahead and install Norton A/V... LOL

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Thanks for the replies - just that one hears so many conflicting claims about the need for Mac AV software. Machine is running sluggish, am using Onyx but if it gets any slower, then may have to consider reformatting HD and a clean install ...

^o^

Reaction score
Hi,

If you need to check for a virus/spyware there are free options available, "ClamXAV" and "Rootkit Hunter" are both freeware Apps that can help find nasty stuff hiding in your mac. Both are either freeware or open source and are listed at Apple Mac Freeware under "Privacy & Security"

If your mac is still running slow try "AppleJack" also freeware at the same site listed under "Utilities & Tools"

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Thx for the additional info and links Ade - a good resource. ( :

^o^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.