Kernal Panic AHHH!!

D

Danster

ok i was playing warcraft 3 tft online and decided to quit when i quit the app i took my headphones off and noticed my fans were making alot of noise and that the screen had frozen so i waited for awhile about 5mins which seems ages looking at a frozen screen and fans still going i decided to mash the keyboard that didn't help and was getting despertate so i tapped the power button and it went to sleep.

When i woke it up it was still frozen then a kernal panic appered,
now i am quite worried because this is about the 5th KP i have had in the 2 months i have had the computer and i dont know what's causeing them
but last night i think someone in this house yanked the plug and before we had a power failiure

does anybody know if the power cuts have anything to do with the KP or is it something else like a dodgy program???

OP
Z

zeppster

No it is probably some bad hardware. Most likely the video card or the RAM. Just call apple and tell them that you're experiancing a lot of kernel panics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, the only way it could be software related is if something you installed (hardware or software) when you get it has caused an extension conflict.

OP
D

Danster

I don't think it's my hardware I have alot of software that I have downloaded of the net maybe it's some of that. I have ran repair permissions on the HD witll that make it ok? Also I rember when i knocked my usb modem out and a KP happend in that instant, what's that all about?

OP
D

Danster

OK i have just encounterd yet another KP this time while veiwing system/library/core services/loginwindow i was veiwing the contens then left my mac for about an hour when i came back i woke my Mac up the that dredded text appered.

I dont know what to do i have had about 7 KP so far since i got this mac 2-3 months ago should i reinstall OS X and backup all my progs onto dvd then install then again?
as i dont want to lose office, photoshop cs and all the good lil ones i have.

???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
zeppster said:
…Most likely the video card or the RAM. Just call apple and tell them that you're experiancing a lot of kernel panics.

I would second the zeppster. (the ram)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Danster said:
I don't think it's my hardware I have alot of software that I have downloaded of the net maybe it's some of that.
The sweet sound of denial :) Phone Apple and get it sorted. You'll be without your lovely Mac for a little while, but it'll be worth the hassle.

OP
D

Danster

But it's brand new!! and i dont have any third party RAM just apple ram
and where can i find the helpline number for the UK?

also will they sweep my HD for downloaded software and delete it? if they take it in for repairs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Danster said:
But it's brand new!! and i dont have any third party RAM just apple ram
and where can i find the helpline number for the UK?

http://www.apple.com/uk/contact/

Bottom right section of the page.

Danster said:
also will they sweep my HD for downloaded software and delete it? if they take it in for repairs?

Not sure, but jsut in case get a 2nd mac, iPod, external HD or whatever. Copy all of the stuff you want onto the backup medium you will have aquired. Get rid of anything *personal* you might be concerned about them seeing on the sysytems HD. Then send it off for fixing.

I had a faulty HD once, wiped it clean before it was sent anywhere! Not that there was anything on there of course :)

OP
D

Danster

I have just ran a hardware test and it found that that all the hardware was ok so it must be a software problem but seeing as they happen at random invertvals i can't narrow it down to which program is causeing the Kernal Panics so should i wipe out all traces and re-boot OS X in? Or is there another solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try downloading preferential treatment and see if any of your preferences are corrupted, if so, maybe your os is corrupt, which is weird.

OP
D

Danster

Macman said:
try downloading preferential treatment and see if any of your preferences are corrupted, if so, maybe your os is corrupt, which is weird.

Thanks i have ran pref treatment and it found one pref that it said had to few bytes should i now run repair permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
versiontracker.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.