USB on the right side isn't working. Help!

R

rochy81

I've had this 15 inch powerbook since last dec and it has been awesome but now im trying to plug my mouse into the right USB port and it doesnt read the mouse. When i plug it into the left side it works just fine. I tested it with my ipod as well and the USB on the right side still doesn't read anything. I'm not sure when or how this happened. Could anyone help me out? my one year warranty is up and i dont want to spend any money to fix it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that sounds weird, have you rtied repairing permissions? also, plug something to it, go into system profiler, and under Hardware>USB> see if anything you plugged in is listed, if not, its probably gone bad. thats the problem with usb, it messes up sorta easy if you dont put the cable into the port straight, and hit the insides of the port, it causes damage.

OP
V

vtupser

I had the same problem with my firewire port on my powerbook. It stopped recognizing things, but for some odd reason still powers them. It was too expensive to replace it since mines out of warranty and its connected to the motherboard, so I opted for a Firewire PCI slot card. You might have to do this if it still doesnt read. Plus this way you can get a USB 2.0 which is way better than USB 1.0 and a little better than Firewire 400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
vtupser said:
I had the same problem with my firewire port on my powerbook. It stopped recognizing things, but for some odd reason still powers them. It was too expensive to replace it since mines out of warranty and its connected to the motherboard, so I opted for a Firewire PCI slot card. You might have to do this if it still doesnt read. Plus this way you can get a USB 2.0 which is way better than USB 1.0 and a little better than Firewire 400.

doesn't the powerbook already have usb 2.0???

OP
R

rochy81

thanks for the replies people and yea, i believe the powerbooks come with 2.0. Well... i guess i have no choice really, im sure itll be a pain to get it fixed. Prolly hella expensive. Ill just leave it be for now but if anyone knows how to fix it themselves please lemme know how.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.