• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

blu-ray or apple tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I just got a HDTV and I want to start building up a collection of movies and tv shows. I am debating between getting an apple tv and purchasing my content from there or a blu-ray player and getting them on blu-ray discs. Does anyone have any info on the difference in quality and the difference in cost. Also, which format would have more stuff available?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Blu-Ray would definitely have more extra content than what you would get on the iTunes Store, but then again, you also pay less for the latter. It basically comes down to cost, and I think the AppleTV is the better investment.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Thanks, yeah, i have no interest in behind the scenes stuff and commentaries, I just want the movie or show

Reaction score
Not just a Blu-Ray player... Get a PS3 since for the same price as most Blu-Ray only players. You also get a free game system in the process.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not just a Blu-Ray player... Get a PS3 since for the same price as most Blu-Ray only players. You also get a free game system in the process.

If I would get a blu-ray player it would be a ps3, however I currently have a 360 and a wii and feel no need to get a ps3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
A Blu Ray player will have vastly better quality, there are no two ways about that. If you have a 1080p TV that is larger than 38" or so, you'll notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A Blu Ray player will have vastly better quality, there are no two ways about that. If you have a 1080p TV that is larger than 38" or so, you'll notice.

The biggest reason. Does ATV play over 4XX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
The Apple TV would be better in my opinion since you can just download the movies onto your Apple TV. With Blu-Ray, you would have to physically go out and buy/rent the blu-ray discs. I own a ps3 and have never used it to watch blu-rays videos, just play games every once in a while

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have a 37" 720p. Would the difference in my case not be noticeable?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious, is it worth is to even get an apple tv now, or is there an update rumor for the next month or two?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.