Newbee question- Please help!

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro Quad with CD burner. I want to copy and burn a data disk. I know how to open the top cd draw by hitting the last button, upper right on the keyboard, but I do not know how to open the bottom CD draw.

Also, can someone explain how to copy a data disk.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hold down the Option key and do the same. To copy a data disk suggest Toast Titanium, however try getting the image on the desktop, drag to the left hand column of Disk Utility, pop in the media and hit the burn icon.

Let's know how you go.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your response....... I tried holding down the option button and the last button upper right and still only the top draw opens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silly question I know ~ do you have two drives installed for this to operate? If so check the power leads are firmly seated.

OP
T
Reaction score
Silly answer.....I'm not sure what you mean. I am really new to the mac and computers in general. I have a Mac Pro Quad OS X Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Version 10.4.11.

There are two draws on my tower, I don't know where to look to find out about the drives . Very Frustrating! I checked all the wires and they are connected. Where do I go to find out if two drives were loaded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the little Apple in the menu bar and select 'About this Mac'.

Select 'More Info' and then 'Disc Burning' and see what is recorded there. If there is only a DVD-RW then you have a superdrive and one only which reads and burns CDs and DVDs. If there are two shown then the bottom door should open as suggested.

By default most came with only one optical drive fitted, the additional was a special order from memory. There are two drawers or doors also on my FW800 but only one optical drive fitted. When I press Option Eject only the top drawer opens so sounds like you have only the one,.

OP
T
Reaction score
This is what It says

Burn support Yes
Reads DVD Yes
CD-write -R-RW
DVD Write -R-RW, + R + RW + R DL
Burn underrun protection CD Yes
Burn underrun protection DVD yes

There are a few other things there but nothing stating CD or DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK at the very top in bold it will say something like

PioneerDVD-RW DVR115D

That is the optical drive installed. If you have two optical drives, there should be two entries. Another way is to go to ATA or Serial ATA and see how many optical drives, apart from hard drives, are listed. Sure sounds like you have only the one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.