Web Design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I think it's easier to do on a mac than a pc. Most things work easier on a mac. Windows just gets in the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I have been designing websites since the 6th grade so about 11 years.

obviously I wasnt using intensive programs back then but I started using dreamweaver and photoshop a few years go. I used to be all windows based for everything up until 6 months ago

6 months ago I bought my apple and got CS3. Im never going back to windows again. The programs feel more like they were designed to run on an apple in my opinion

OP
B
Reaction score

obviously I wasnt using intensive programs back then but I started using dreamweaver and photoshop a few years go. I used to be all windows based for everything up until 6 months ago

6 months ago I bought my apple and got CS3. Im never going back to windows again. The programs feel more like they were designed to run on an apple in my opinion

Please teach me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
where you located at?

haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I use both pc and mac for webdesign.
Mostly dreamweaver & photoshop.
Although i do use iweb when i'm short of time, and i have to say i prefer to use my mac as it seems to run smoother.
Especially since i had a problem uploading the site on my pc using dreamweaver and had to manually upload the files, whereas on mac it worked fine.
http://www.kirupa.com/
^ this site has a lot of photoshop and flash info, could help you if you want to make a flash site.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Edit: Im an arsenal fan too :L

Reaction score

Wait, aren't people supposed to start on Dreamweaver? I started out in Aptana, which is actually just a really good IDE, but now I just do all my stuff in Notepad++... like I write my own code, doesn't dreamweaver just kind of drag and drop? I never actually used dreamweaver so I could be wrong. Clarify please?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wait, aren't people supposed to start on Dreamweaver? I started out in Aptana, which is actually just a really good IDE, but now I just do all my stuff in Notepad++... like I write my own code, doesn't dreamweaver just kind of drag and drop? I never actually used dreamweaver so I could be wrong. Clarify please?

You can design many different ways. Most graphic designers don't know a lot of code so they use Dreamweaver to do most of the coding for them.

They usually design the layout in Photoshop or Fireworks and then they slice the images and set up the grid structure/tables and add the images.

You can also code by hand in Dreamweaver as well so yes you can copy and paste code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tables are a terrible idea though.

with css there is really no excuse to use tables.

AND dreamweaver can handle css

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
I think it's easier to do on a mac than a pc. Most things work easier on a mac. Windows just gets in the way.

I'm sorry but i have to take opbjection to this comment. NOTHING about web design is better or worse on either platform. The theories and fundamentals stay the same. The only difference is a preference of programs you want to use.

I usually use Microsoft Expression Web & Photoshop when designing but there is no reason why i could not use a Mac HTML/CSS coding program.

The best advice I can offer for someone who wants to learn is DON'T use a WYSIYG application. You cannot create good site using a drag and drop application. Get dirty, work with the code directly. Understand how it all fits together and you'll be in a much better place than...

"Such and such works in Dreamweaver but when i view in IE...etc etc"

I own a mac because i wanted a small powerful laptop and always fancied having a mac and learning about them.

Anyone who tells you that Macs are a better platform than windoes, they're wrong. Each has their own benefits.

P.S.
Use tables for holding data and Divs for layout. That is the standard way these days. You can however drop tables completly but this is personal preference.

Let me know if you would like any more advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree over the differences in the OS's

I think you can not only prefer one, but also get through your work faster with one OS over the other.

Expose and Spaces are a few tools that greatly help the organization of whatever few programs you are using at the same time.

This is a fantastic OS feature that makes me work much quicker, and much more efficently when doing websites.

and I can have photoshop and all others open on different spaces and use them when I need to without the clutter on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
Microsoft Desktop Manager...

Allows you to have multiple desktops that are accessible through shortcuts etc...

Most popular tools for creating websites are:

Dreamweaver
Visual Studio
Adobe CS (photoshop etc)
Adobe Flash
Adobe Fireworks

These are are all available on both platforms.

If you are an ASP developer, you pretty much have to work on windows anyway. So i always end up running Windows Server in a VM on my mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.