Screen grab/shot colour problems

Reaction score
Hi guy!

I'm having a problem with the screen shot tool (cmd-shift-4) on my new iMac.

I work as a designer so colours are obviously very important. When i use the screen grab tool to select an area it darkens the colours in the outputted file. I've come off a PC and this wasn't a problem on there and is obviously very annoying.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
instead of using command-shift-4 try opening up the Preview app, then go to File>Grab>selection and then drag the crosshairs. The image will be in .tiff format and might improve the screen cap

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply

That worked which leads me to think that it may be something to do with the screen grab option saving the files as .png's.

Do you know if there's a way of changing the file format for how the screen grab saves the file?

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
there might be possibly, but thats out of my expertise haha. I think the "cmd-shift-4" is a system service and the Preview Grab is app specific

OP
J
Reaction score
Right i think it's got something to do with having dual monitors. (Just to clarify i wasn't screen grabbing off one monitor and viewing it on the other.)

It seems that the screen shot tool was taking a colour profile off the other monitor even though it wasn't in use and is the second display anyway (very annoying).

I had both screen using different colour settings but i have them both using the same now and it seems to have solved the problem, although the screen shot tool seems to output images at the smaller screens resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.