Not enough USB power...help

Reaction score
hey guys im having to use both of my USB ports to power my external hard drive. it used to work on just one however.

Is there a way i can boost the power or allocate more power to one over the other? thanks.

Its a real pain having both my usb ports blocked every time i want to hook up to my hard drive.

its a memorex 80 gig travel drive too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Best thing to do would be to get a powered USB hub. That way the hard drive draws all the power from the hub rather than from the port.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah but then still if i need to use my hard drive when im not at home it still blocks all my ports.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
yeah but then still if i need to use my hard drive when im not at home it still blocks all my ports.....

Get a battery-powered hub eg. Cyberpower. Four ports, using only one USB outlet on your Macbook, optional recharging while in use. Search this section for my post 'May I introduce.....' for a pic of the Cyberpower unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
What machine do you have? On a MacBook, the USB port nearest the screen is actually shared between the Keyboard, trackpad, eyesite and blue-tooth, so the power supplied is much lower than the port nearest to you, which is dedicated. It may be that you can use one port, but it has to be the correct one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.