• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

QT Pro to .avi Pixelated??

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, first time viewer and poster!

Here's my 2 questions (I did scroll all 5 pages first before posting this question)

When I convert a QT Pro .mov clip to a .wmv, it only gives me about 10 seconds of play??

And secondly, if i convert a QT Pro .mov file to a .avi file, it gives me MUCH MUCH more time, however the .avi now becomes very pixelated?

Whats happening here? If i would of known this, I wouldnt of purchased QT Pro.

I have a dinosaur computer. :( A desktop G4 with 2x 500mhz with the Tiger OS

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
what software is this in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can't help directly with your QTPro issue, never used it as a conversion tool.

I'd recommend trying ffmpegx (free) or Visual Hub (not free).

Both are very capable of doing the conversion you require.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
as mrplow said.

But you will only get time limited WMV files unless you but the full version of Flip4Mac

AVIs will convert fine tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM
try converting to divx

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys,

I will attempt to reply to all in one shot here:
Again, I purchased Quicktime Pro so I can edit movies, then send them over the net.

After making a movie in QTPro (orginally from a "codec" .avi file) , it would save it in .mov format. This will only play back once. For some strange reason, after this I can never play it again, unless I convert the new film to .wmv or .avi.

If I choose .avi, then I will only get maybe 10 seconds of play. However, if I go with .avi, then I will get much longer play, BUT it gets very pixelated :(

How can I get it to clear up?

1- Volta,

I make my movies in Quicktime Pro and am converting them to wmv or avi. I'm using OS Tiger

2- Mr. Plow,

I attempted to DL the FFmpegx player, but a window on my desktop pops up saying that this is not a recognizeable file. I have tried and was unsuccessful from a few different sites now.

3- Louishen,

Can I still edit movies in Flip4Mac?

4- Fash,

I DL'd the Dvix player to convert. They want $20. Can this take my converted pixelated .avi vids made in QTPro and clear it up?

Thank you all very much for your replys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you cannot edit movies in flip4mac, its a codec extension for quicktime, not a standalone editor

But you will need to download Flip4mac and perian to extend quicktime's codec support

FFmpegx is a conversion tool, not a player, and you will need to download its other components (see its home page you will need mencoder and mpeg2enc components). Once done you can convert a mov file to divx or avi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
oh, man, i'm an idiot, i didn't even see that you were using QT pro, sorry for the confusion, i don't know what to tell you, i've never encountered that problem, i typically deal with mov and divx files and use Final Cut Pro. sorry big guy. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.