just switched and HATE iPhoto with a passion

S

simple

Hi guys and gals, before you read this you should know that I am pretty irritated with iphoto right now and do not intend any pun by what is said below.

Just started using my new mac, but Iphoto has got me thinking about switching back. This stupid program won't let you create subfolders in an album!!!! What kind of sick idiotic crap is this?

In windows I was very organized... now everything is dam* mess since all my albums can only be 1 folder deep - this makes for a 40 page long list of albums.

Under windows I had:

kid1
>trips

>>busch gardens
>>>2004
>>>>wet ride
>>>>scary ride

>>six flags
>>>2004

>>disney world
>>>2003

and when collapsed, everything was neatly tucked into the kid1 folder.

Under iphoto I have to create its own top level album for everything and put up with this BS:

Kid1-trips-bush gardens-2004
Kid1-trips-bush gardens-2004-wetride
Kid1-trips-bush gardens-2004-scary ride
Kid1-trips-six flags-2004
kid1-trips-disney world-2003

As you can see, that's 5 folders where there could be one. I have 3 kids and we do a lot of stuff, so I have a 30 page long list of "top level" albums in iphoto... and thats just kids. I haven't done the wife, or work photos, or anything. This is the stupidest program I have ever come across!!! Nothing like making a mess of your entire photo collection.

Is there something better than iPhoto out there or should I switch back to windows? BTW, if I am an idiot and there is a way to turn on subfolders, please feel free to rip me a new one. :D

Thanks

PS

using iphoto 1.1.1 - old I know but I don't see any subfolders in 4.0's screenshots.

OP
D

Desolate One

I also don't like how iPhoto "organizes" my pictures so I just use Image capture to zip my pics over the my Pictures folder and organize them myself.

OP
?

)(*

i just create seperate albums from one major library. i do see it as a change, but iphoto lets me modify my pictures. something i like.

just click the little + symbol and organize all you want

Reaction score
Why don't you just use "Export" to send it to where ever you want? You can have as many folders and sub folders you want that way...

OP
K

ktparker

You could always apply keywords to your pictures, and then make smart albums to act as folders like the ones you had in Windows. I am going to be making the switch to Mac in a couple weeks, so this is what I plan to do. (Mine are also insanely organized right now on Windows.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
iPhoto is weird, my photo collection is a mess with images strewn all over the place. I must have at least 50 folders all with numbers instead of names and most of them don't actually contain any images.

OP
S

simple

Thanks guys, I'll give the library manager a try, but it still seems like too much when it would have been very simple for apple to just implement subfolders into the program. The smart folders, I believe, are only in iphoto 4.0, and since all I've got is 1.1.1, and am not that happy with it, I doubt I'll be buying 4.0.

On the bright side of things... just found out ACDSEE is also available for mac :D

OP
B

braniffman

iPhoto is indeed a joke, especially with RAW mode files. Frankly I prefer Portfolio 7.0 for filing, burning, ect......

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
i guess not too many of you saw the keynote... and to switch back over one app, esp over an older version (software doesn't start out perfect ie XP) is the stupidest thing IMHO :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
IronMac said:
i guess not too many of you saw the keynote... and to switch back over one app, esp over an older version (software doesn't start out perfect ie XP) is the stupidest thing IMHO :D

This thread was started before the keynote and the announcement of the improvements in iPhoto 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Ok I'll give you that one. But you still have no room to talk when you're using outdated software. Plus why would you dismiss an entire platform over one piece of software... oh wait I just answered my own question. :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IronMac said:
Ok I'll give you that one. But you still have no room to talk when you're using outdated software. Plus why would you dismiss an entire platform over one piece of software... oh wait I just answered my own question. :bomb:

I agree, I was just commenting on your opening remark.

To discount an entire platform because of one piece of software is entirely justified, if you demand a certain level of performance out of that piece of software and there is no alternative.

Many of my PC using friends don't use Mac's because they are 3D animation students and in terms of 3D animation the mac just doesn't cut it. Unless you are using racks of xserves and renderman! But what student has that kind of money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
johnnyluu said:
I agree, I was just commenting on your opening remark.

To discount an entire platform because of one piece of software is entirely justified, if you demand a certain level of performance out of that piece of software and there is no alternative.

Many of my PC using friends don't use Mac's because they are 3D animation students and in terms of 3D animation the mac just doesn't cut it. Unless you are using racks of xserves and renderman! But what student has that kind of money!

But I'm sure they are basing there decision on current versions of the software in question.

OP
F

flonejek

iPhoto 05 is far better just buy iLife 05, or borrow from a friend to try it out, from what I saw at the expo and apples site it supports nested directorys, and may surpass IView Media Pro (the current favoured photo management app for macs) it also supports RAW in al its glory YAY

linky: http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If the new iPhoto can make me convert from iView Media Pro.. I will be a happy man! Especially since IMP keeps getting more and more expensive.

OP
S

simple

I was just frustrated at the time when I made the remark about switching back. I still have my PC and use it for certain things, and I like my mac, but like I said, I was a little pissed at the time. I'll look for a copy of iphoto 5, seems the problem is solved there. Still, they should have incorporated the nested folders feature from day one.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Best Regards,

Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
simple said:
IStill, they should have incorporated the nested folders feature from day one.

Such is the nature of software development.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.