'Best gaming device on the market' iPod Touch?

Reaction score
Steve Jobs made a rather large sweeping statement, when he declared the iPod Touch as the "Best gaming device on the market". Now of course the first thing that comes to everyone's mind is what about the PSP and DS, and how on earth could the iPhone ever compare to those two?

Instead of just saying Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking about, lets entertain the idea that the iPod Touch could possibly be the best gaming device on the market.

Lets try to list pros/cons of gaming on the iPod Touch/iPhone vs PSP/DS, I'll kick things off with my biggest gripe about PSP/DS.

Pro, digital distribution of games, no more carrying around stacks of PSP UMDs or DS cartridges, or having to pick and choose which games you really want to bring with you, or even having to constantly switch UMD/cartridges anytime you switch games.

So how about it, is there any strand of truth in Steve's words or is he full of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb Ram Running Leapord OS
I'd personally say the multi touch screen and accelerometer could make for a very innovative and be a revolution for portable gaming. but no games for the touch so far fully utilizes the two said features.

i would say as far as the psp vs. touch vs. ds as entertainment devices, a higher storage capacity touch would be on top. mainly because of the easy to use interface, full internet browsing, music, movies, etc. the psp does have internet and i think the ds does also, but they could lack in comparison. also the itouch is much more "portable" and "pocket friendly" than the latter two.

but also, the psp graphics are so far proven to be very outstanding, especially for a portable gaming device. granted i havent seen the touch flex its graphic capabilities, i would say graphically psp wins.

the ds has great games available for it that im sure nintendo wouldn't want to port to the touch. they seem to be very stingy with games.

Reaction score
I haven't read/heard that statement, but i have to question if he was referring to DS/PSP, or if he was referring more to the mobile market.

While the iPhone/iTouch has some really cool gadgets with the accelerometer and touch screen, compared to the DS/PSP it's just that, little gadgets (in my opinion).

Now, on the mobile market on the other hand, the iPhone eclipses every other available handset out there. There are a few supposed 'iPhone killers', but that's just wishful thinking on the part of the other phone manufacturers. At least in regards to gaming anyway, as a phone, I don't know how the iPhone would rank.

But it's not really fair to compare the iPhone to other cell phones for gaming. I think the iPhone stands somewhere between the mobile and DS/PSP markets ... not directly in competition with any of them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
iPhone Processor --> 620mHZ downclocked to 412mhz
PSP processor --> 333mhz i heard this is downclocked to about 150mhz
DS process ---> one 67mhz and one 33mhz

iphone memory ---> 128mb
psp memory ----> 32mb
ds memory -----> ????

couldnt find much on resolution or anything else of any help and im really tired. when am i gonna see playstation like games on my iphone? lol.

seems like it can be a decent competitor, how do handhelds work openGL versus DX?

anyone know?

I know apple including iphone is primarily OpenGL based right?

Reaction score
The thing is battery life. I don't care how powerful a device is, if it can't play games for extended periods without needing a recharge. Right now I don't think the Iphone could do any intensive gaming for more than 10 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
fair enough but remember this is running your phone, 3g service, the game itself, a full os ready to receive messages. the hardware alone is much much better then anything else comparatively, even the psp.

we will see how much this update may increase battery life. from what i read they made it sound pretty drastic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.