MAC Accounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi, Im a 12 year die hard MS Windoze user who has just made the jump to MAC, so please be kind to me!!

User Accounts:
Like many new users i followed the setup instructions when first fired up my new MAC and now have an Administrator Account and Home Folder with my name which is rather annoying as I would have liked to have called it simply Administrator. I know I can change the Account name but changing the short name and home folder name is very complicated, however for the moment I can live with it.

In order to get going I have already installed Skype and setup iMail with my existing BT Internet account on the Administrators Account.
I also know how to set up user Accounts and intend to have two user accounts, one for me and one for my partner, but before I do I have some questions:

1. When logged in as one user should the other users be listed
Users listed under "Places" in the finder window?

2. I have already setup my existing BT Internet account on the Administrators Login, will this be available for all other users on their Accounts or does each user have to have their own E Mail account in iMail, if so how do I share one E Mail account?

3. As stated above I have installed Applications in the Administrators Account but will they be visible for use by other user Accounts.

4. If I upload all my music, videos, photos and documents when logged into the Admin account will they be available to all other users, if not how do I share it all.

My partner has been to a MAC user presentation in the local Apple Shop and seems to think that anything you put in the "SHARED" folder in the "USERS" folder on the MAC HDD will be available to all users as well as any other MAC user on the Internet. Surely if I am using a WPA protected home WiFi Network no one else can get onto my network or into my MAC or am I missing something.

Many thanks in advance
:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
Unless you have FTP or SFTP enabled and port forwarding on your router, you shoudlnt worry about other Macs seeing your folders over the internet. If you have many users on the same Mac, I believe, they cannot see each others' "USERS" folder because of permission settings. However anything in the shared folder can obviously be seen by anyone who has an account on the mac.

Since I dont have multiple accounts on my Mac, I dont know the answer to some of your questions but hope I helped =)

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless you have FTP or SFTP enabled and port forwarding on your router, you shoudlnt worry about other Macs seeing your folders over the internet. If you have many users on the same Mac, I believe, they cannot see each others' "USERS" folder because of permission settings. However anything in the shared folder can obviously be seen by anyone who has an account on the mac.

Since I dont have multiple accounts on my Mac, I dont know the answer to some of your questions but hope I helped =)

Thought so, just double checking - Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
MAC = Media Access Controller. Mac = Macintosh.

1. Users won't be listed under Places. That is only for networked computers/devices.

2. Not sure since I don't use Mail.

3. Applications in /Applications are available for all users.

4. If you place all your music and photos in a folder on the main HDD, not within a user folder, they will be available to anyone. As for the shared folder, yes it should be available to anyone.

Hope this helps.

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC = Media Access Controller. Mac = Macintosh.

1. Users won't be listed under Places. That is only for networked computers/devices.

2. Not sure since I don't use Mail.

3. Applications in /Applications are available for all users.

4. If you place all your music and photos in a folder on the main HDD, not within a user folder, they will be available to anyone. As for the shared folder, yes it should be available to anyone.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the response:
1. I thought so, mis interpretation on my part.
2. Looks like you can setup iMail on each account but will have to see about the Mac version of the XP setting allowing you to leave messages on the server, this way all users will have access to the latest E Mails if this is not an option in iMail then if user A has already downloaded all new messages then they will not be available to user.
3. OK.
4. Just tried that, looks like I'll have to create MUSIC, PHOTOs and DOCs folders etc on the Mac HDD and point the various i applications to these folders.

TVM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.