MS Office 2008 vs. 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm kind of in a pickle here. I need some advice from someone who maybe experienced in both Windows version of Office '07 and Mac's MS Office '08. I currently go to TCU and the business school requires a MS certification class. They are currently running Windows and are using MS Office 2007. The tests aren't basic knowledge, they are very specific. I currently have bootcamp running with XP. I would really prefer to use Mac's version of Office '08 so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth to use office. Bottom line: How much do these two version differ from each other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Howdy. If you have to use VBA, Pivot Tables, Solver, XWindow stuff, etc., then you have to stay with 2007, since none of these are available for 2008. Indications are that 2008 will eventually get VBA and Solver, but it will always be a subset of, or worse than the Windows side (in terms of capabilities).

My guess is that MS Certification implies that all testing will be done with the Windows version. In this case, why bother with the Mac version?

I am a dedicated Mac user, but I worked with Excel and Access in a Fortune 50 company, and it would have been difficult to do some of the work even with VBA in 2004. I tried writing code to be interchangeable. In most cases beyond simple tasks it was impossible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
they differ quite a bit in usage. Menus are different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Howdy. If you have to use VBA, Pivot Tables, Solver, XWindow stuff, etc., then you have to stay with 2007, since none of these are available for 2008. Indications are that 2008 will eventually get VBA and Solver, but it will always be a subset of, or worse than the Windows side (in terms of capabilities).

My guess is that MS Certification implies that all testing will be done with the Windows version. In this case, why bother with the Mac version?

I am a dedicated Mac user, but I worked with Excel and Access in a Fortune 50 company, and it would have been difficult to do some of the work even with VBA in 2004. I tried writing code to be interchangeable. In most cases beyond simple tasks it was impossible.

I agree with just using Windows. I have Office '08 installed in OSX yet use Office on my Windows machine at work and for me, it feels better on my work machine.

If you don't feel like switching back and forth, perhaps Parallels or Fusion would work well for you. I just installed Parallels and am happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya know, just ran into a complete showstopper with office 08. what a waste of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't mind, what is the show stopper for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
while it's something that I use rarely, when I need it.. I need it.. the add in support being gone. (even though the add in I had been using wasn't VBA)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's nothing wrong with Pivot Tables (or now, Solver) in 2008, but VBA has been removed and will not be coming back until the next paid version.

Office 2004 was much closer to its Windows equivalent (2003) but Microsoft took two completely different directions with 2007 and 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is good to see that Pivot table are now included. Even with 2004, there were still two major disadvantages: 1) VBA was based on VB 5 (what was used in Office 97), whereas 2003 (actually 2000 and 2002 also) was based on VB 6, and 2) there were no Control Box features in 2004. Some would say that the latter is a good thing, but when many people design in 2003 using list boxes, etc. based on Control Box toolbar instead of the Forms toolbar, then these are not available or usable/functioning with 2004. So if someone wanted any kind of cross-platform capability with 2004, they needed to set up everything on the Windows side using only what would work with Office 97.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Looks like I'm probably going to go with Fusion. It's a shame I have to spend even more money, but I think It'll be worth it in the end. Switching between OSX and XP is a pain for such a simple task such as typing up a document or whatever. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice I'm all ears. Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Looks like I'm probably going to go with Fusion. It's a shame I have to spend even more money, but I think It'll be worth it in the end. Switching between OSX and XP is a pain for such a simple task such as typing up a document or whatever. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice I'm all ears. Thanks again

If you're planning on taking a MS certification course, Office 2007 is the way to go. Not only is it a better Office suite than Office 2008, it's what most folks out in the business world are using.

I have both versions and much prefer Office 2007. However, I love my Mac even more which is why I primarily use Office 2008. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.