Mouse randomly moving

Reaction score
Some times when I am using my mac my mouse will some times move slowly or will move in ways im not movin the mouse,
It feels like im fighting someone else using my mouse.

Is there a virus out there for macs that could cause this ??
Im using a wired mouse so its not like there is another wireless mouse causing it to move.

I dont see any software installed for some one else to remote to my machine.

ANy ideas Or suggestions on things I could look for.

also what are people using for virus protection on your macs ??

Thanks in advance.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is this an optical or laser mouse?

if so, make sure the lit area on the underside is completely free of debris, hair, etc. also, if the lens or area where the light shines from is dirty, clean it with something like rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Just to be certain, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and make sure Apple Remote Desktop is unchecked. As for viruses, that isn't the problem as there are no viruses for Mac OS X, therefore Antivirus on a Mac is unnecessary.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check for remote desktop and Will make sure the mouse is clean.

Reaction score
Not 100% correct . There is at least 4 known Trojans. But you need to agree to them to install them.

Just to be certain, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and make sure Apple Remote Desktop is unchecked. As for viruses, that isn't the problem as there are no viruses for Mac OS X, therefore Antivirus on a Mac is unnecessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8

You can argue the definition of virus easily, viruses for mac definitely can be written and do exist, although if you practice safe browsing you basically aren't going to get one..

Not 100% correct . There is at least 4 known Trojans. But you need to agree to them to install them.

although you do have to agree to install all of the known trojans i've read about, it's very simple to trick most users because if they download any freeware, or some random picture, they're then prompted to install and will agree expecting to only get the app / pic / song / whatever that they were expecting.. i guess if you're a more advanced user this may be easy to pick up on, but not for all.. i guess never install shady content if you're prompted for your username / password... or better yet, create a secondary account and don't even use your admin account when not completely necessary.. or just eat trojans left and right and roll with punches, buy new computers very often, and swear the internet is a liability :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.