Slowing Down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I just recieved my Ibook a few weeks ago and already it seems to be slowing down. Espcially when it comes to opening programs like Safari the load time before it actually opens the browser is a lot slower then what it was when I first opened it up. I haven't downloaded any programs or installed anything.

I've Reset Safari thinking that that deletes all the files that get stored. Are there any other things I should do to clean up my computer from files that I may have gotten from the internet?

Or does anyone else have this problem?

T

tariq

Have you tried running the cron scripts/jobs or repairing permissions?

Download MacJanitor, Cocktail, Oynx or any similar program to maintain OSX

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I run cron scripts, repair permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I suggest cocktail, its simple and just good, onyx on the other hand will screw up your mac in a major way if you dont know what youre doing. whatever you do, be careful.

T

tariq

Download Cocktail from http://www.macosxcocktail.com/

Once open, click System and click Permissions, then click Repair. It'll take about 2-5min for it to complete.

Next click Scripts and click Run. These are the scripts that OSX automatically runs during the night, but if you put your laptop into sleep during that time, these will never run. This lets you run them manually whenever you want to (I run them once a week).

And to finish off, click Cache, and click Clean (deselect anything you might want to keep).

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Macjanitor and it seemed to do the trick. My apps open way faster then they used to. Should I continue using MacJanitor or will it screw up my Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.