newbie iTunes question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 160G
Hi:

I've only been using a Mac for a few months now, and I've only been using iTunes as my primary media player for a few weeks.

I switched from Linux (when my second Linux desktop died on me -- a story too sad for this forum :[ ), and my primary media player was Amarok. One thing I liked about Amarok was that it let you specify folders for content. I'd like to be able to do the same thing with iTunes, but I don't see how.

Let me clarify here: if I have a series of CDs that I've ripped that are the "Books & Spoken" genre, I'd like them to be stored in the Audiobooks library folder automatically.

I know I can accomplish much the same thing with playlists, etc., but I'd rather move all non-music content out of the Music library.

Thanks for all help on this.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you don't want let iTunes manage your library (personal preference or you have another app that needs a particular structure etc). You can create your own folder structure and uncheck the 'manage my library' in preferences
e.g.

Audio (parent folder)
|
Music
|
Spoken Word
|
etc
|
etc

Either way if you tag your "Books & Spoken" mp3s as Audiobooks within iTunes

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 160G
If you don't want let iTunes manage your library
<<< stuff deleted >>>
Either way if you tag your "Books & Spoken" mp3s as Audiobooks within iTunes

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the answer. Even if I allow iTunes to manage my library, I can still tag something as an Audiobook. I'm somehow not finding the option to do this. Could you clarify?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I also wanted to know this and have now found the answer

Set the import preferences in Itunes to use AAC

Select the track in itunes, right click and select convert to AAC

Drag the resulting file to the desktop and then you can delete the two dupes in the itunes window

Now here's the trick. Rename the extension of that file you dragged to the desktop to .m4b

Drag the track back in to iTunes, and bingo, it now gets added to the audiobooks section

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 160G
Thanks much! That worked! I knew someone here would have the answer.

Now, if only I can figure out a way to get the m4b extension when I rip spoken word disks.

Thanks again for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.