TFTP - Using my iMac to Netboot Ubuntu onto laptop - Minor Issue

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am trying to use my iMac to host the needed files to install Ubuntu onto a laptop that has no CDROM drive.

I have followed a few tutorials and even resorted to using TFTP Server software (http://ww2.unime.it/flr/tftpserver/).

I have started TFTP and unpacked the needed ubuntu files into the correct directory (/private/tftpboot). I have plugged my laptop into the back of the iMac using ethernet and have changed the boot sequence on the laptop so PXE is tryed first.

On the laptop the loading screen appears, the PXE screen appears and it takes a while.

It hovers and displays: DHCP...../

Then it reports back with 'No Netboot files received'.

I am a bit confused as to whats going on and don't know what else to try. I have been trying this for the past 2 hours and still can't get it to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The Mac is not configured as a PXE or DHCP server. The link you provide is dead so I can't read your TFTP how-to, but I really don't see how the Mac is going to run PXE or DHCP. Leopard server has net boot services and can net boot Macs, but not Linux (I don't think).

Assuming the Mac is an intel Mac you could get a USB to IDE converter cable ($15 on newegg) and boot the Mac with the Ubuntu CD and plug the laptop HD in via the USB converter and install Ubuntu to the USB HD. Then put the laptop HD back in the laptop after installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.