FTP file sharing giving access to everything

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to set my 10.5 Leopard imac up as an FTP server. I couldn't get it to work at all until I used a standard user account instead of a sharing-only account. The standard account is not an administrator, and I have the guest account disabled.

Now it is working, except the account can read my entire hard-drive (I haven't tried writing to it), even though it does not permissions for it in system preferences/sharing/file sharing.

Can I not limit FTP to only some folders?

I did delete the account's Public Folder, perhaps that had something to do with it?

Cheer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What you need is Pure FTP, which lets you manage FTP users and restrict them to certain folders, I use it for clients who have their own folders and cannot see anything above their home folder

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
Another great program you can use is CrushFTP. It allows you to create viritual directories and assign specific folders users can access. It also comes with a multitude of services, i.e. SFTP, FTP, etc. Worth a look into.

http://www.crushftp.com/index.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you're opening ftp across the internet, please consider using sftp/ssh instead.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Given the lack of control over the Leopard FTP facilities, I think a manager like you suggest will be much better. It will be good to see who is logging on and what they are doing. It'll also be good to be able to control what they can do.

Still it would be nice to know why the Leopard FTP permissions don't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.