Can I install XP SP3 straight up via Boot Camp?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering an install CD for Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Would it be possible for me to do this, or should I order SP2? Apparently, Apple released an update for Boot Camp to enable SP3 installation, but that update can only be installed on a Windows installation after installing SP2. Bottomline: Can I install a SP3 CD onto my iMac, or do I install a SP2 CD first before installing the Boot Camp update, followed by a SP3 update? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Order XP SP 2 and install it via Boot Camp 2.0. After installation of XP you can download SP 3 from Microsoft and install it. That's what I did. No problems whatsoever.

Or:

Order XP SP 3, download the upgrade to Boot Camp (2.1) and install Windows that way. This is what Apple recommends.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.