• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Slow-mo and effects in iMovie '08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 (Graphite)1.4GHz, Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz.
This question is maybe a little past it's 'use by' date but is there still no way of getting slow/fast motion on 08, or some of the snazzy effects you got with 05?

I'm finding this difficult to believe! The 08 interface is very impressive but to lose the functions i had on 05 sucks.

I used 05 to make wedding videos for friends before and have a couple to do again and now with 08 there's no slow mo? How can you make a cheesy wedding vid with no slow-mo or fireworks!!:Smirk:

I've heard that to get them back you can download 06 for nothing, what's the story with that? Does it use the same license or sumfink?
(Or should i be attempting to install my iLife 05 on the same Macbook as my 08?)

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Just download iMovie HD for free like the thousands of other people.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, interesting. I'm downloading it just now from Apple support.
Thanks Donedeal, i'm not convinced i'm out of the woods yet, but i'm optimistically curious.....

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's in, it's on and i'm enjoying confetti in slo-mo again. Many thanks DoneDeal, i think you've cracked it.:D

Reaction score
I've just started editing video using iMovie 8 and from what I can tell, it's going to be an issue using slow motion effects. I've read everywhere that I will have to use iMovie HD though I can't find an available download anywhere. Does it not exist anymore for download from the mac support site?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Apple removed iMovie HD from the downloads when they released iMovie 09. My only thought is, do you have some Mac friends?

Reaction score
so I take it slow motion is back in the 09 vers. and an upgrade is in order....

Bummer deal. I just bought my new MacBook Pro, and it came with 08 installed.... ARgh. had I only waited a few more weeks....

Reaction score
Imovies 8 and 6

I have imovie HD6 but when I try to read files created in imovie 8, I get sound but no vision. Do you have to export the imovie 8 files in a different format in order for imovie HD6 to read them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
so I take it slow motion is back in the 09 vers. and an upgrade is in order....

Bummer deal. I just bought my new MacBook Pro, and it came with 08 installed.... ARgh. had I only waited a few more weeks....

Slow motion is back. It is by clip in the timeline.

If you bought you Mac on or after January 6, 2009 then you can order iLife for a $9.95 processing fee. So says Apple. I can't see how that is done, so perhaps a call to them will answer that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have imovie HD6 but when I try to read files created in imovie 8, I get sound but no vision. Do you have to export the imovie 8 files in a different format in order for imovie HD6 to read them?

You are not explaining this well enough.

As a check, open the file in QuickTime to be sure it has an image to show.

If you are talking about files you create via the share menu, then you'll have to create an appropriate formatted file for iMHD to read it. That might take some experimenting.

If you are talking about the imported files in your iMovie Events folder, then you have to be choosing the real content, not the thumbnails. Assuming the imports are DV or AIC files, then iMHD should be able to use those without further conversion.

Reaction score
Slow motion is back. It is by clip in the timeline.

If you bought you Mac on or after January 6, 2009 then you can order iLife for a $9.95 processing fee. So says Apple. I can't see how that is done, so perhaps a call to them will answer that.

So here's the scoop. After playing phone tag with an apple rep for a couple days I've been informed that the aforementioned article had an expiration date.

However, since there is no mention of this offer being for a limited time, she is extending the offer to me and sending me a copy of iLife '09.

Excellent support. I've very impressed how easy it was to actually talk to a person and get this issue resolved.

On the downside, I am fairly certain that the article will be removed asap so nobody else will be available to procure a copy of '09.

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying xstep. The full story is quite complicated but here it is: We bought a panasonic hard disc video camera in a bit of a hurry and only later found that it is not compatible with imovieHD6. ie you cannot just download the files from the camera without conversions. I thought that we might be able to get around this by downloading the files through imovie 9 which is able to do this but because I could only borrow the machine with imovie 9 for a limited period, once the download was complete (onto a portable hard drive), I could only use imovie 8 to view them. However I want to use imovie 6 to edit them so thought we might be able to export the files from imovie 8 in a format that imovie6 could then view. So currently, I have the files in the format .mov and the get info screen indicates that these are quicktime movie files. When I try to view them in quick time however, I get sound but no video as well as in imovie6HD. Perhaps I requuire quicktime pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dvoira, some notes...

You may know this but, the files you would be interested in are in your event folder which would be something like; "Movies/iMovie Events/<eventName>". The folders below that should not interest you.

Open a bad clip in QuickTime and do a Get Info (Command-I) on it. You are interesting in the "Format:" information. The lines will tell you the video & audio type. Usually video is listed first, but not always.

My understanding in that iMovie 08 & 09 import from non tape cameras in a manner that converts the content to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) video and I think Linear PCM audio. In the Info panel that would look something like this;

16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Mono, 48.000 kHz
Apple Intermediate Codec, 640 x 480, Millions​

So perform that task and report back what the video format is. You can cut & paste from the Info panel.

Also, have you confirmed that iMovie 08 does not import from your camera? Have you got the latest updates for iMovie 08 and iLife support? Check for software updates to confirm that. If the camera has a firewire port, and your Mac too, then you should be able to import into iMovie HD.

QuickTime Pro should have no affect on this issue.

Reaction score
details of imovie 09 files

Xstep

Details of files are as follows:
'm2v1', 704 x 576 (1001 x 576), Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Left, 48.000 kHz
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Right, 48.000 kHz

Unfortunately, no, imovie 8 will not import from this camera (panasonic SDR H40) although I did try.. There are many posts about this problem in various fora. It does not have a fire wire port - uses usb connector.

DV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this is a little nutty. See post #7 on this thread.

Your video size seems wonky to me too, but that is the least of your problems.

Also, things I've read say iMovie 08 can read this type of file just fine, so I have to guess this issue for iM08 is that Panasonic camera. So far I'm convinced the camera manufacturers to go with for Mac are Canon and Sony, and even some of theirs can have issues.

Reaction score
thanks

Well thanks for trying x-step. I guess I will have to do my editing in imovie 8 but it is not as good as imovie HD6 especially the audio. I wonder if exporting them as smaller files might work... I'll try and let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can read the file in iM08, then you can export to an appropriate format. See my export guide for information on that. Export them as AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) files.

Reaction score
im8 to im6

Sorry to be so dumb but I cant find a setting to export as AIC file. I'm presuming that you export sing quick time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.