Second Monitor on my Windows Partition

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

Okay, so I got a 15" Dell plug and play monitor from a friend and have it hooked up to my 17" intel iMac. When I'm on my OS X partition it works just fine without any problems. Once I switch over to my Windows partition (through rEFIt) it doesn't quite work. It's strange because during the windows loading screen my secondary monitor displays the loading screen fine, but once the OS starts up it goes into sleep mode. I know that this seems like a windows problem, but this monitor works just fine on my other computer which is a PC. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that it's a VGA monitor, but it's plugged in through a mini-DVI plug which I have the adapter for. Or if I don't have the right driver for the mini-DVI slot? I don't know, I'm just sorta guessing at this point. So, if you need more info please let me know. Or better yet, if you have a solution, then, uhh, I will thank you. Like a lot. Because, frankly, I'm out of ideas. So, thanks for reading. Help!

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8ghz, 2gb RAM, 512mb Graphics, 500gb HDD
Have you tried plugging it in after windows boots?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try updating the Windows video drivers for your iMac graphics card to the latest. The DVI to VGA adaptor shouldn't make any difference. I had to do the same thing for my MacBook in order to get my external display to work properly.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.