OSX Leopard better than XP for my DAW?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically, I've got a macbook and I use it for digital audio production. I'm considering putting XP on it for maximum performance.

I haven't had any experience using Leopard for music production yet so I'm not sure how it compares to XP performance-wise. I'll be using applications like Cubase, Ableton Live, Propellerhead Reason, etc.

Your advice as to which OS would be best is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I use OSX and XP on my Macbook Pro for audio production. I personally don't think that you have to use both to have access to all the available tools and programs. I think that OSX performs better in audio production than XP but I'm also a little biased towards OSX :).

OP
R
Reaction score
pasteofanchovie: Yeah all the programs work on either OS, I'm just trying to discover which OS will give me the most performance out of my hardware. OSX does seem like it'll perform a little better than XP but I'm still yet to find out for sure.

Any further opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
pasteofanchovie: Yeah all the programs work on either OS, I'm just trying to discover which OS will give me the most performance out of my hardware. OSX does seem like it'll perform a little better than XP but I'm still yet to find out for sure.

Any further opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

If you're using Cubase as your main sequencer, I would probably stick with Windows. I know they were having a ton of problems with the lastest OS X version when it dropped.

I decided to go with Logic though and haven't looked back since. It's a much better program than Cubase in my opinion.

Reaction score
I would run Cubase on XP too.

I use Live now but if I were to go for a linear DAW again I would try Logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express
Cubase has a tendency to crash in OSX, especially when you are using MIDI. It can cause a lot of headaches. Other than that I'd say OSX all the way. I've used both Windows and OSX for a lot of software and overall I like OSX better, but Cubase was originally intended for Windows and it shows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.