how do get started in java

Reaction score
I posted this topic a while ago, but I can't find it anymore, so I'll ask again. I've downloaded the lates version of Java for mac (se6) and it's sitting on my hard drive, but I don't know what to do next to get going. I bought the dummies series of books to start out with Java, and it comes with an IDE (j creator light). I haven't loaded it yet into the machine, because I dont' know what else I need (if anything) to start programming/learning. Can anyone out there tell me what else I need to do?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Firstly - You don't need anything else, however as you become more proficient a better IDE (Eclipse or Netbeans) would be recommended.

You can write java code using a simple plain text editor.

And then you can compile and run the code from OSX's terminal, which is basically what j creator will do for you behind the scenes.

OP
S
Reaction score
Need more explanation

Okay -- I'm not sure I said enough in my other posts. I was learning java on my old pc, so I'm very very new to mac. I'll start using text editor to write the programs, but how do I use terminal to run the programs? I have it on my machine, but all I get is a window. while I'm here, can anyone tell me how to open xcode? I know it's on my disc, and I thought I downloaded the right one (I think it was the package) but I get nothing.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
In the terminal there are two main commands for java, these are
java and javac

javac runs the java compiler

java executes a java program

so some examples

javac MyProgram.java (will compile MyProgram.java in the current directory)

java MyProgram (will execute MyProgram)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.