Hacking?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to know the possibility of being hacked.
My computer is a mac pro and I'd like to know if for example, just by posting on this forum someone can find a way to get inside my computer.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
just by posting to this forum? No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
first they'd need easy access to your box. By this I mean a non-firewalled connection, and an opening to exploit. Most of the 'hackers' out there are relatively unskilled and use scripted toolkits to perform their 'hacking' actions. Since that's the case and there are no known os x exploits in the wild at this point (other than some trojan horses) I'd say you're pretty secure. We portscanned my mbp one day at work just to see if there were any obvious security holes, there weren't. Mitnick be darned, I don't consider social engineering to be actual "hacking"

So what do I think they'd need? First and foremost, something that is generally lacking in the scriptkiddie arena, skill. Second they'd need some actual will to hack your mac, not sure what kind of information you're storing on it, but it's probably unlikely to be worth the amount of time and effort likely required to breach it (at least in most cases). Security by obscurity? No, just that anything that's connected to a public network can be compromised, some are just harder than others.. and generic thieves tend to find the easiest or.. 'soft' targets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
You should also worry about the ports open on your mac, such as the Apache server port 80 and more importantly, the VNC port, which I think is 5590. If you have a router box with a firewall though, it should make you pretty secure. Unless the person hacks your wifi connection (if you have one), but he has to be physically near your connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
neither of those are open by default though. Which brings up another item.. if you're opening a port (or starting a server etc) you should understand what it does, and what the security implications are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.