external hard drive - is this any good?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I posted in another section with a complaint. My mac keeps freezing due to what i THINK is a memory related problem. Before it frooze it kept telling me too delete files. I didnt, and now its too late. TOTALLY MY FAULT!!

I have a window of about 2 mins where i can move files onto a USB stick and delete files from my notebook. It takes a while, but its beginning to make things run for abit longer by the looks of it.

I have been told by someone (not a mac user) that gettin an external hard drive would solve the problem of the computer freezing, and get the thing working again.

Is this correct and if so, is this hard drive any good?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=469

Reaction score
If your drive is so full that the Mac can't run its 'behind the scenes' disk swaps, then you do need more space. You can do that by archiving it onto another drive and deleting it. Try booting in Safe mode, hold down the Shift key when you start up, that may limit the number of processes running and give you more time to move and delete files.
Simply adding another drive isn't going to fix this, you need blank space on that boot drive!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.