New to Mac (help)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've jsut acquired an old school MAC, G4 with 10.4 ! Now i know NOTHING about mac so the questions i will ask are very basic!

Does a PC keyboard and Mouse work on the G4 or do i have to purchase a Mac Keyboard/Mouse?

All the best
Matt from the UK

OP
P
Reaction score
Also does it have to be USB connection if a PC keyboard/mouse can be used?

As you can see im VERY new !

S

satrop

Yes, theye both should work fine, although you may loose so of the functions on the keyboard. As for the mouse... you may need to find drivers? Not to sure. Again I think (going back it bit from when I had a G4, but it will only use USB connections.

And welcome to the darkside! Really there is nothing to be scared of! As long as you NEVER do this keyboard short cut

" alt+±+!+.......?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your help :) much appreicated... where's the best place to buy a Mouse/Keyboard from (UK) apart from ebay !

Very excited about turning the beast on ... new to MAC ! Used to Sony Unix/ Fedora Core and Windows !

What's the shrotcut all about ?

Also does SDRAM that fits in a PC, the same as a MAC or is it TOTALY different stuff ?

S

satrop

You should have no problem using your SDRAM. As long as it fits. I think you need 164 pin or somthing like that? Just checked 168 pin. You'll know if it will fit or not just buy looking.

I never go near eBay. I just had a look for a Mac keyboard for you and to be honest... the best place is apple.com/uk cant find them cheaper unless you want to go the eBay rout?

And the short cut... I was just messing! ;)

So why did you move over to Mac or is it just a second comupter?

OP
P
Reaction score
Im fed up with Windows, even though i have friends that work with Microsoft US and UK, it is a great tool just for the professional side of things (i've just got into graphics design with a company) and windows ISNT keeping up to scratch with the huge files that i'm RIPPING (Large Format Printing) in a Printer RIP, and also the file size that im loading (GB at a time) im hopeing that MAC will be able to deal with this...

My current PC spec is AMD Quad Core CPU, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 24" HD Mointor, and 1GB Graphics Card, yet it's still being powered by Windows and needs all that power + more to be able to kope..

I've gone for a cheap G4 to start on with, i.e get used to MAC how things works and if i can get on with it ....

Well i picked up the Mac today at 6:00 from the ebayer i purchased it from, how ever, the only output on the graphics card is a DVI connection, well it has VGA but dosnt work apparently... so only way i have to use it is DVI, BUT... the DVI adapator i was giving doesnt fit....

On end of the DVI adapator has a flat slot, which is fantastic but there are 4 smaller pins around this flat slot, where the DVI graphics card dosnt have the room to have these pins around the flat slot.... get what i mean ???? Is there different types of DVI adapator out there???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.