Dead Pixel...AHHH

A

Agent_Boost

Hey all,

Got my 15" superdrive back in October '04 so its roughly 4 months old.

Well the other day i had my screen black as a DVD was loading and i noticed i have a dead PIXEL! ahhhhh

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and could perhaps recommend how i go about getting this repaired? I assume it falls under warranty?

anyone have any info?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to have 6 dead pixels before apple will replace it.

I had a dead pixel on my powerbook once. I turned off the powerbook and massage the area with a moist paper towel, dried it off and the pixel was revived

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I had one on my flat panel iMac (1 dead/stuck pixel) when I first got it. I just massaged the area lightly with my finger (careful not to hit your fingernail on the screen) and it went away or was revived I should say.

OP
A

Agent_Boost

Great, thanks for the advise guys.....I'll try and massage the area to see if i can revive the pixel.

Mac requires 6 huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Agent_Boost said:
Mac requires 6 huh?

Different manufacturers have different policies regarding pixels, and I'm not certain whether Apple's is explicitly defined or more of a case-by-case basis, but the policies are usually very similar regardless of the company. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a company that will replace an entire LCD panel (since the pixels themselves cannot be "repaired") because of 1 or 2 dead or stuck pixels.

OP
G

gesteves

Padawan said:
Different manufacturers have different policies regarding pixels, and I'm not certain whether Apple's is explicitly defined or more of a case-by-case basis, but the policies are usually very similar regardless of the company. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a company that will replace an entire LCD panel (since the pixels themselves cannot be "repaired") because of 1 or 2 dead or stuck pixels.

Apparently Samsung has a new zero dead pixel policy.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000870025629/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
gesteves said:
Apparently Samsung has a new zero dead pixel policy.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000870025629/

They're certainly in the minority (although the author states that he isn't sure whether the policy extends outside of South Korea), and though I definitely agree that a dead pixel is upsetting and annoying, instituting such a "zero-pixel" policy industry wide would probably drive up the costs of displays (and the products they're contained in) significantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
I had one on my new PB. I thought that the massaging thing was BS, but decided to give it a go anyway and...it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
how do you know if you have a dead pixel? Is there just no color? I mean a pixel is so tiny so how can you see it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
A dead pixel will just be black. A pixel is tiny but if there is one that is dead you will be able to notice it. The Pixel can also be "stuck" where it stays a specific color (usually red,green,blue)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
i have a bright spot :| massage isn't helping. bwaaaah.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.