Is there anyway to listen to BBC radio on the iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
I want to listen to BBC radio 5 Live on my iPhone as it's the best UK sports & news channel out there. Is there anyway of doing this?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try navigating to the iplayer site on WiFi

Apparently you should be able to stream some content, not sure about radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

THere used to be a link to BETA BBC iPlayer for iPhone, but you will have to see if the beta is still running

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah. I can stream TV from iplayer but no radio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Radio is available on the 'full blown' iPlayer now but unfortunately because the BBC use realplayer as their broadcast standard for radio it's not available on iPhone ..... sadly

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Radio is available on the 'full blown' iPlayer now but unfortunately because the BBC use realplayer as their broadcast standard for radio it's not available on iPhone ..... sadly

mmm shame.

Thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2
Yes, impressive and useful.

Could anyone advise me on how to 'resume' after navigating away from the page to do something else - or is that kind of multitasking asking too much?

woo

Reaction score
bbc 5 live

ooTunes will let you listen to bbc 5 live (and lots of other stations). It's $20, kinda a pain to setup, but if you're outside the UK it's the only option for live bbc.

Reaction score
If it's on shoutcast, you can use FlyCast. You can run it in the background so you can use other apps & it has a web browser built into it. It's free in the app store.

woo

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the BBC is not on shoutcast. FlyCast sounds interesting... but I'm pretty sure running in the background is against apple's SDK rules, so if it DOES do that, it will be interesting to see if it is pulled from the store.

If it's on shoutcast, you can use FlyCast. You can run it in the background so you can use other apps & it has a web browser built into it. It's free in the app store.

Reaction score
Hi
I recently managed to listen to radio five on my iphone.
Install fstream the free app.
then go to favourites > edit > add new webradio
url is
BBC Radio 5 live
format Ram
And i set bitrate to 128
Cheers

Reaction score
Have a look

..at WunderRadio in the Apps store. Costs a couple of £££ but works really well and has most programmes.

Reaction score
One work-around (not perfect, but it works) is to install Airfoil on a desktop computer (Mac or PC) and Airfoil Speakers in the iPhone/iPod Touch. This allows the stream to be sent in the WiFi area covered by the desktop.

(I think there is a VLC version, but I have not looked into it).

John F

Reaction score
live bbc radio

hello all, the best and easiest site to listen to live bbc radio is:

http://www.bbcradio.mobi

You can easily stream bbc radio channels + sports in or outside the UK. You will find all channels in both real media, and windows media player. It also works very well with any internet connected mobile device. Iphone compatible.

Enjoy

Reaction score
Hi angelina, when I try to use BBC Radio - Live BBC Radio Stations to listen to bbc radio on my iPhone 3GS via wifi, I get the error message "Download failed. Safari cannot download this file". Anyone know why? I'm in the UK by the way, so you woulda thought I could listen to the BBC ok!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.