Display Lid Replacement

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. Anyway, I just inherited a MBP from my brother who, shall I say, doesn't have much common sense. He got the top of the laptop laser etched, which I shall say, looks like total garbage. I want to replace it, and possibly get one etched correctly, but here in lies the problem. It has AppleCare on it, and it still has a long time on it, longer than I want to wait to change this out.

I was wondering if there is a way to either replace the lid without noticeably voiding the warranty, or if I can provide one with the computer to the apple store, and get it replaced without paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
kevlar557,

If you want to know what Apple folks think, just take it by an Apple Store and ask them. I expect they would be glad to change it for you, but probably at a pretty big price, perhaps as much as $800-$900, because it includes the display assembly. To avoid losing the warranty, you may just want to live with it until you can change it yourself...

Maybe some kind of covering on it, like an opaque skin...

Noel

OP
K
Reaction score
As far as I know, the display does not have to be replaced, I've seen the lid on powerbookmedic.com for $30 used, and $80 new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.