Please help with removing iCal

Reaction score
I want to start again with iCal. So I thought I would remove the existing program and reinstall.
I moved iCal to trash, but when I try to empty the trash it says that something called "icaldockextra" is in use and it won't empty the trash.
How can I get rid of the existing program?

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why do you want to delete the program to start over? Just delete the calendar(s) on the left side of the app and create a new one.

OP
N
Reaction score
Kash,
I've got issues with events and not being able to set times for them.
I have started another thread about this, but as a recent switcher, on windows I could just delete the entire app and start again.
Is it not that simple then?

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
It's more likely you touched some weird preference than the app being bad. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file named com.apple.iCal.plist. From the sounds of it, though, if you're intent on deleting iCal (probably the wrong way to go), your problem is that it's still being used when you try to delete it by the Dock, which updates the date on the iCal icon constantly. So you should remove iCal from the Dock before attempting a delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kash,
I've got issues with events and not being able to set times for them.
I have started another thread about this, but as a recent switcher, on windows I could just delete the entire app and start again.
Is it not that simple then?

N

Just like on Windows, removing the software will not delete the files you have created.

Also, once it's gone, there's no easy way to get it back.

You should delete the preference files (.plist) and calendars to start over.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys.
I don't understand how deleting the .plist and calendars will fix what looks like corruption within the program. On another thread I posted a screen shot of what my events look like. It's in a recent thread called "iCal problems".
Unfortunately, I now have a situation where I deleted iCal to the trash, but the trash won't empty because of this "icaldockextra" file in use. This is even if iCal is removed from the dock. I reinstalled iCal, so now I have one program functioning (but flawed) and one program in trash.
Any recommendations? I know I might have done something the wrong way, but I need your expert help guys.

n

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.