Firefox sluggish with Flash sites.

R

Rosaget

So I've been running Firefox on my G5 for a few months and have recently noticed it getting really slow and laggie when I'm running two or more Flash sites. When I run a Flash site in one tab and one in the other, the one I'm viewing skips and often I get the old spinning beach ball which is quite annoying. I've tried re-installing Firefox multiple times with no luck and tried every other browser out there for the mac (trust me, ALL of them) and none really come close to the nice features Firefox offers. Currently I've been using Safari but it's missing (as are all other browsers) the the one essential feature I'm looking for in a browser, and that's single window mode. If there was a way to get single window mode for Safari that would be cool too but right now I just looking for a way to fix Firefox. I know there is the whole Command-Click to get the new windows in new tabs with Safari and with other browsers but I hate that whole idea. I want a keyboard-free technique of opening all new windows to open in new tabs instead. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I have also noticed how poorly Firefox handles the flash content. I love to play flash games, but Firefox just does not do flash games justice. However, Safari works great with flash content the best out of the others.

As for the keyboard-free technique to open tabs, it is possible in Firefox. You just simply Click and Hold on the link, which will bring up the menu, and then you'll need to select the option that you want. This only works with Firefox on the Mac.

On my Windows computer, you could use the scroller in the middle of the mouse to open new tabs. You would just press down on the scroller over a link to open a new tab. But I have not bothered to check, if this works on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Rosaget said:
I've tried re-installing Firefox multiple times with no luck and tried every other browser out there for the mac (trust me, ALL of them) and none really come close to the nice features Firefox offers. Currently I've been using Safari but it's missing (as are all other browsers) the the one essential feature I'm looking for in a browser, and that's single window mode..

thats ridiculus, all I can say is USE OMNIWEB! its way better than firefoxm has that single window mode and much much more. Ive also had problems in firefox viewing flash content. have you tried emptying firefoxs cache?

OP
R

Rosaget

Is there a way to have single window mode for Safari? That would awesome if anyone out there knows a way. Isn't Safari open source, in which case you could mod it to do single window mode. I'm not much of a programmer in anyway so if someone out there knows a way to do that would be nice.

About OmniWeb, the thing I didn't like about it when trying it was the bookmarks panel coming out the side instead of having them up top where they are on most browsers. And of course the most important part of OmniWeb that turned me off was the fact that it costs money. Paying for a web browser seems a little ridiculous when there are so many good free ones out there give or take their imperfections. I would have to love everything about a browser before paying for it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Did you try out Camino yet? I tried it out with flash content, and it works fine. It also has single window mode. But it does not have the many features of Firefox, like the extensions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.