Screen corrupts during loading, freezes at blue login screen

Reaction score
Hi my friend has a macbook pro, i dont know much about it make or hardware as he doesnt keep track like a dummy.

But during the loading screen (the grey screen with the apple logo and the like cirle of bars that goes around) its corrupted theirs like checkered green bars all over it, and then it gets to the blue screen where you can choose your account but the screen just goes blue and freezes.

Im wondering if theirs something wrong with it he can fix, or if its his video card.

Reaction score
Same problem

My Macbook Pro just started doing the same thing. What ended up being wrong with yours? Is it the video card? Corrupted memory? Corrupted boot image? Virus? I don't want to go messing around with stuff until I have a better idea of what the problem is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have had this issue and here is the steps i followed;
First Step;
Start MacBookPro by pressing power button then holding down the Shift key (L or R)

it will take a bit longer to boot up but will not load any extra apps.

If that makes no difference to problem;

Start MacBookPro by pressing power button;
and hold down Command Option P and R buttons at same time and hold until you have heard the start chimes 3 times, then release all buttons and let it boot up.

Practice holding the 4 buttons first before pressing power button as it can be a bit of of a juggle.

If that does not sort issue;

Reset the SMC
Shutdown MacBookPro, remove power adaptor, remove battery and then hold the power on button down for 5 secs.
Refit battery connect power adaptor and boot up.
If all is go, do a Battery Calibration in very near future.

If that does not sort issue;

then find DVD that came with MacBookPro and press the power button and immediately insert the DVD and once it goes in Hold the D key down.
When it boots up hit return and then select which Hardware test you want to run, probably a good idea to do the extended test even though it may take an hour to an hour and a half to run through.

If that does not identify any issues then shutdown and restart holding down the C and it should boot up off of the DVD

If you are no further ahead then it is time to take it to an apple repairer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Note that this is not for the new unibody unit as you cannot take the battery out of that so more research needed if u have a Unibody MacBookPro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.