or PowerBook: help with selecting a notebook

Reaction score
All right, so I have been looking at notebooks for quite a long time. I started off looking mainly at the Dell Inspiron line, but none of the reviews were all too great, and I don't much like Dell anyway.

So then I had a sudden flash of inspiration, and started researching Mac laptops. The first model I looked at was a really old iBook, just because it was cheap, but I very quickly decided it was too slow and old to fit my needs.

Next I started looking at the PowerBook G4, which is still old but seems to be a pretty stable model, according to the reviews. It also has fairly decent spec.

Finally, I've been examining the new(er) MacBook line, but the two newest ones are too expensive for me to purchase at the moment, so the only one i could really get is the original MacBook.

Basically, then, this broils down to a choice between two good notebooks: the PowerBook G4 or the MacBook?

I expect to be doing an awful lot of Internet work on it, using the AT&T DataConnect service. I will also be doing some hardcore gaming on it, so it needs to have a good enough graphics card and memory to run relatively new games. And since I am a hobbyist computer programmer, I'll probably be running compilers and such programs on it a lot.

Basically I'm asking for an educated decision: which of these two would be best for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Orion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Hardcore gaming? That's not what Macs are known for...but either way, I think the MAcBook would be the better choice. Very reliable and powerful at the same time. Internet and multiple windows/apps open never or rarely crash.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Don't the powerbooks have a dedicated graphic card though? Macbook has to share it's RAM with video so I doubt you will have any fun doing hardcore gaming.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, I guess that was a bad choice of words ... I won't exactly be doing hardcore gaming. More along the lines of occasionally playing, say, Age of Empires or Civilization 3, and never for very long.

I'm pretty sure the PowerBook is the one with the dedicated graphics card, but then MacBook is newer and probably more powerful.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Get what you need and makes you happy. ^-^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.