Massive Files

Reaction score
Hi, my girlfriend and I are currently states away in college and she needs a 12.6 GB file that is currently on my HD. I would pack up everything and send her an external HD but the post office will be closed until monday and she's getting hit by tropical storm hannah (i doubt she'll get the mail delivered anytime soon). SO, my question is, what's the easiest way to transfer a 12.5 GB file over the internet? Is that even worth trying? If we can get it sent in <24 hours i'll be happy. I'm not really afraid of insane DL times :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Set up your mac as an FTP server, might take a while tho, depending on your internet speed and hers

FTP services can be enabled in the sharing preferences

is that large file compressible, what sort of file is it?

You can also use Pure FTP so that you are not sharing your whole home folder over the internet

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

OP
K
Reaction score
It's the warhammer online beta client. I've successfully downloaded it on my xp partition (i'm using a 25 GB FAT? partition) we can both access our pc partitions from the mac side so i was going to try to send her the complete client on the mac side and then she can just drag and drop the file into windows.

OP
K
Reaction score
if you can link me a good compression utility i'd love you forever, the default finder utility just compresses one of the files within the file. (obviously does me no good what-so-ever)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.