Kingston Memory

P

peterggg

Kingston offers two lines of memory: 1) system-specific memory, and 2) generic spec'ed memory. The first is identified with a KTA product code (with the "A" standing for Apple), the second is their Value Ram line and is identified by KVR.

I'm looking to buy a single 1GB stick for my 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook. The recommended Kingston product is KTA-PBG4333/1G and retails for LOTS.

I believe that the KVR equivalent is KVR333X64SC25/1G (note the "S" for 200pin vs. 184pin - I think) and retails for basically half the KTA chip. Are they essentially the same chip with different branding? Can I buy this KVR without a care in the world? Kingston explains the price difference by saying the KTA is guaranteed compliant and fully refundable but it would be nice for someone here to assure compliance of the KVR so we could all save a few bucks.

Thanks, Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
How much is the "generic" memory you're looking at? I'm confident that you could find a similar stick at another retailer (OWC and Mac Solutions come to mind) that is 100% compatibility guaranteed and has a lifetime warranty for a very similar price.

OP
P

peterggg

quotes

I live in Canada so I have priced the cheapest I could find both in USD and CAD.

KTA - US$ 420
C$ 519
KVR - US$ 308
C$ 430

C$ 661 for the 2G kit somewhere else but they didn't quote 1G at $330 so the choice on a budget might be between the 2G KVR or 1G KTA.

I guess I helped answer my own question in a way. The prices I had originally gotten for the KVR for the "C" (another $100 cheaper) and not the "SC". Still, it's saving $110 so your comments on the original question would be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Peter, unfortunately I don't have any direct experience with that particular memory in a PowerBook to answer your specific original question, but I'd imagine that if the specs are correct it will work fine.

However, as I stated earlier, there are other vendors that offer 100% compatibility guaranteed memory with a lifetime warranty and even better pricing. For example, OWC offers 1GB sticks for your machine starting at $237 USD. I've dealt with both OWC and Mac Solutions for all of my Mac memory, and have nothing but good things to say about both companies and their products.

OP
P

peterggg

OK. You've convinced me. Samsung from OWC it is. That was my other option. Thanks. They're quoting US$290 for 1GB.

OP
I

IChing

got mine $209

peterggg said:
OK. You've convinced me. Samsung from OWC it is. That was my other option. Thanks. They're quoting US$290 for 1GB.

been happy so far livetime warranity, see my post further down on 1gb

OP
T

tariq

peterggg, where in Canada do you live?

In the Greater Toronto Area you can get KingMax 1GB DDR333 PC2700 SO-DIMM 200-pin (lifetime warranty) for $263CDN

If you're dead set on saving money and don't mind paying shipping from the States, You can get a 1GB stick for $159.99USD from here http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153 which with shipping works out to about $220CDN (1 year warranty)

Both the KingMax and Outpost RAM work perfectly and many users have used them with no problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.