Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
HI ALL,

This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp and I can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

So, any ideas of how to do this?

Thanks,

Joe :doctor:

Reaction score
gunnerjoe said:
HI ALL,

This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp andI can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

So, any ideas of how to do this?

Thanks,

Joe :doctor:

When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

James said:
When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Sorry, this is a bit ranom and just an assumption. I don't really know anything and could be totally wrong, but cant you run terminal commands with an applescript? Just create a script that does the terminal command for running Gimp and then launch it from the script menu using the newly created applescript. Possibly.

Reaction score
gunnerjoe said:
No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Hmmmm... what version of OS X are you using? Try dragging the Gimp icon itself to the dock and if it works then use the Keep in dock function. Other than that I don't know what would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One possible solution

In finder I went to /sw/bin directory and tried to launch GIMP from there, it was asking what application to use to open GIMP, so once I figured out to point it to the application X11, it would continue to launch. Next I could copy GIMP from /sw/bin to the desktop, but I didn't see a way to just do an ALIAS. While I can now launch GIMP from the icon on my desktop, this seems like a round about way of doing something that should be so simple.

Any Ideas Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks

Joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no make Alias when ctrl clicking GIMP, there is a copy, See my other post on that. Maybe no Alias because it it isn't seen as a Apple program... just a thought.

Thanks,

Joe

Macman said:
hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technologist said:
There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.

That's one way to do it :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

Code:
ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp

That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing :)

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

Code:
ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp

That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing :)

That's one way to skin that cat.

Thanks

G

guerom00

Hi there,

You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

$ cd /sw/bin/
$ mv gimp gimp.x11app

After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guerom00 said:
Hi there,

You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

$ cd /sw/bin/
$ mv gimp gimp.x11app

After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp

That's a nice trick. I can then do click ctrl-command and make the dang shortcut of the gimp.x11app to the desktop.

Boy that was easy :confused:

Thanks,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.