XP Installation won't detect MBP keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15", 2.2GHz quad core i7, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD 5400 - rpm
I own a 2006 model Macbook Pro and recently installed leopard on it.
I tried to install XP on it using bootcamp, I followed all onscreen instructions and read the OS X Leopard booklet's section on bootcamp carefully. I partitioned my HDD and gave the XP side 12Gig. (Only have 29G left)
Up to this point everything was running fine, I put in my XP disc as instructed on screen and my computer restarted, upon restart it entered into XP setup as expected and it went through it's process of installing some drivers.

This is where the problem started: It came to this screen which asked if I would like to install XP (Enter), fix my current version of XP (R), or quit setup (F3). The problem here is that for some reason my keyboard was not detected and no matter what button I pushed nothing happened, in the end i had to hold down the off button plug until it shutdown. I found the keyboard for my iMac and plugged it in, and started up the computer again, XP setup immediately began and I got to the same screen where I had the same problem.

So I turned the Macbook off again and came back to Leopard, where i re-ran bootcamp set up and in the end the same thing happened.

Ok sorry about the massively long explanation but thats my problem... any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think the problem is with the keyboard(s). What kind of disk are you using to install XP? Problems will occur if the XP disk you're using for installation is not of the correct type.

The XP install disk must be a full SP2 XP Home or Pro disk, either a boxed MS copy or a system builder's OEM copy. Both will work fine. You can not use a recovery or OEM branded install disk. Neither can you use a XP SP1 disk.

Regards.

OP
MacJinjo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Disc is SP2, I've used it before on my an iMac that was a hassle free setup before leopard...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The no-keyboard functionality is usually indicative of SP2 missing from the disc. Are you sure that's the same disc you had used successfully with the other machine?

Also note that if you are still using that installation, product activation and the Microsoft EULA will likely become an issue for you.

OP
MacJinjo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I finally got it to work, I don't really know what was wrong, but after trying a few times and re-running bootcamp it seemed to recognize my keyboard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.